Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ78 snorkel

Jimbo4x4

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well am I glad I finally got this fitted, I've only had it over 6 months! :p

Gav came over last week to make sure I didn't run away from cutting holes in my wing (again), and provided some much appreciated hole saws, labour and camerawork too.

The first step was to move the PAS reservoir and the screenwash tank as they are piled up against the inner wing I want to work on. The airbox itself also needed moving so I had space to work.
29042010886.jpg

The badge and side repeater were bang in the way so they came off in the practice of conservation
29042010885.jpg

If it wasn't for all the vehicles that carry this badge, the world would be a completely different place
29042010887.jpg

Enough stalling, the supplied template went on and lined up for where the snorkel needs to sit...
29042010889.jpg

...then came the point of no return :?
29042010891.jpg

Fine tuning..:
29042010892.jpg

That's the worst part over with:
29042010893.jpg

Time for a test fit:
29042010894.jpg

A little bit of jiggling and poking and it's sitting exactly where it wants to be :)
Now for the inner wing:
29042010895.jpg

The hose Gavin has supplied does the job of connecting the wonky snorkel outlet to the airbox intake admirably.
I pre-heat the metal before painting it, mainly so I'm not waiting around for it to dry before I can fit the snorkel.
29042010896.jpg

I wave farewell to Gav and his camera at this point but 3 coats of paint inside and out and half an hour later I put the whole assembly together to finish up with this:
DSCF1410.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

DSCF1413.jpg

And a big grin on my face :mrgreen:

I need to fit a new side repeater somewhere before the next MOT, and the old badge will go on the side of the snorkel body :)

Now I just need to test it out :twisted: :twisted:

Jim.

p.s - Gav, I owe you one, thanks mate

Jimbo4x4 said:
Well am I glad I finally got this fitted, I've only had it over 6 months! :p
We now need to see it partially submerged :lol:
Chas

Hi Jim.

Great job on the snorkel, buddy!

Mind telling me where you got yours from and for how much?
Truck looks 'awesome' with it on... want one toooooooooo!!!

African Drifter

You're in the silly question club now Jim :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for all the feedback folks :) been getting lots more waves when out and about since fitting it - my old civic coupe got about as much but I'm not quite in the league of my old SJ yet :twisted:

African Drifter said:
Mind telling me where you got yours from and for how much?
Truck looks 'awesome' with it on... want one toooooooooo!!!

African Drifter

Thanks :mrgreen: I got mine from "Gepetto Auto" on ebay, here's a link to a 70 Snorkel in his shop:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snorkel-Toyota-La ... 3a5a725de9

He appears to have changed his stock as mine was for a petrol heavy duty model (RJ7*) and I just modified to fit using the flexy hose Gav supplied under the bonnet. This one looks like it has the same snorkel body, just different fittings to connect to a 4.2D airbox.

EDIT: Just a thought, speak to Graham off here first, he may be able to source you one for half the price ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
You're in the silly question club now Jim :mrgreen:
-"You're going to cross that 5' deep river now?"
-"Don't be silly, of course I'm going to cross that 5' deep river now" :twisted: :p

great step by step guide! I just need a snorkel now... looking on e-bay and seen the one from Gepetto autos - are they the same as Safari snorkel but without the price tag?

LeCruiser said:
great step by step guide! I just need a snorkel now... looking on e-bay and seen the one from Gepetto autos - are they the same as Safari snorkel but without the price tag?

Basically, yes. They're made in copies of "Safari" moulds with the same grade plastic. ;)

2l-te mate, Jap spec 2.4TD with efi. Not had any problems with the engine, why do you ask?

Back