Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Login attempts to your account by spammers.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Folks,

A few people have asked my why they are locked out of their account.

It would appear that we are being hammered by spammers. They try to guess your password. After 3 attempts it locks your account for a while and makes it harder for them but they still continue.

There is nothing we can really do other than make sure you password is not simply your username or test123.

If you do there is suddenly someone posting spam, let me know via PM and I'll sort it out.

Gary has apparently logged on from 61 different computers. Steve, 31, me 20 and counting etc.

Thanks
CP

this is the only forum they are hammering at the minute, I am a moderator on another club and they are battering that aswell

Could you do an unusual behaviour check if a spammer does try to gain or gains access to an account? No idea how this would be implemented but just a thought.

Rob said:
Could you do an unusual behaviour check if a spammer does try to gain or gains access to an account? No idea how this would be implemented but just a thought.

I want to give them a couple of hours so I can glean all their IP addresses. Then, each IP address which has a failed login for more than one use = spammer. I can then block that (and publish it) so it'll slow them down.

karl wester said:
Crispin

How do i change my passwor please?

cheers karl

If you have a look, top right corner, there is User Control Panel link. Click it, go to Profile on the left then Edit account settings. You can change your password in there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
KW, following your trip to el dentisto, I think you'll find that as the days go by, the teeth whitening will dampen down, therefore reducing the reflected glare on the screen which will enable you to see the pooter screen once more :mrgreen:

:character-spamcan:

:lol:

:lol:

What exactly are these people trying to do. I dont get all this spam stuff :think:

only the spammers get it karl, I think they must be aliens :roll:

Not sure what they are trying to do but I have just logged back in and I have had no trouble this time. So what ever you are doing Crispin is working.

Steve

Hi Crispin,
I am on another forum about motorbikes, adn about a month ago, we were all advised about this spamming my the administrator.

Dear xxxxxxxx,
Some of you may know that we've been battling with ever determined hackers all this week and its been a very testing time. Although the intention of the hackers has been to distribute a virus they have managed to get access to the back end databases that store usernames, email addresses and encrypted versions of users passwords. For this reason I felt that I should email to let you know. Real names, Postal addresses and paypal details are not stored on the server and have not been put at risk.
Whilst the password are stored in an encrypted format I would never recommend you have the same password in use across websites I'm aware that some people may do so and you should therefore change your password on those sites as a precaution just be sure.
I am shutting down the site on a nightly basis to control the chance of hacking and since doing so we have seen no further attacks.
We are in the process of starting afresh and will be moving the forum to new servers shortly.
The offers of help and the words of support have been most welcome and have helped me to get through the last few days, so thank you.
Lastly please accept my sincere apologies for the hassle this has caused
you and I hope we'll be through this in the next few days and can put this behind us.
Kind regards,
Dave
(Site Owner)

Graham

I'll be doing an update to the site tonight so there might be a few minutes when you get a "Maintenance" message.

Other than that, there is not a lot we can do. There are constantly "bots" trying to get in and nothing ever happens with it. It's just the last couple of days that they have increased slightly. The worst they can do is, like Graham's post show, get your name, email address and encrypted password. We all do it but you should not use the same password in multiple places. At least, have a different password for here and your bank :thumbup:

Carry on regardless folks :D

Spammers need there bitts cutting off turning round and sticking in the hole thats left.

We have suffered bad with it in one day alone they tried to send 150,000 emails using our email address.

This will get you black listed and the mail server shut down.

Most originate from either Russia or China.

There are people out there who will destroy a site or crack it for money a form of industrial espionage.
We have been there all our shop enquiry's were redirected to another address. Took a long time to work it out, they are very good at it.

Malcolm

I think that they have moved on. Again I logged on tonight and I am straight in no problems.

Steve

Over on HPOC we have been inundated by spammers opening new accounts. It took a software update and lordy knows how many security measures to stop it happening. It will only be a matter of time before they bypass that security and we have to try another way. Basically these are people who are paid to access the accounts so firms can post spam. One way we noticed the new accounts were fake was that in the "country" location window they were down as "Google".

I have noticed several times that my account had been blocked and I was told I had exceeded my failed login limit. So suspected what you have mentioned in this thread.

Mine has just been locked out. :evil:

updated the profile.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'll look into blocking all the IP addresses which look suspicious.
On the odd occasion I might get it wrong and block one of your accounts :oops: If you get a message about being blocked or banned, email me at admin@<the site's name > landcruiserclub.net> and I'll fix it. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back