Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lokka in rear diff

pekkerwood

Country Flag
australia
G’day everyone

I want a diff lock for the rear diff, a Eaton electric would be great but can’t afford one.

So can anyone tell me about there experience with a auto Lokka, what are there manners like around town on the bitumen. Would you go that way again or save for a manual electric diff lock

Thanks

I’ve read a little on the “4WD Systems Lokka” but can’t find any info on how it’s “auto”. Maybe its transmission triggered or differential speed, or other, but anything auto worries me when I’m the one driving and should be in control.

Lockers of any sort are essential if you’re doing steep grass, muddy or shale slopes but around town? What?

Absolute no-no on asphalt, unless you’re doing drag races.

Maybe the wind up is taken care of by the “auto” as well, or maybe it’s just a wind-up...

They refer to them as auto because you don’t control them like a electric diff lock , push the button ie manual.

from what I’ve read if you drive real gently around town it won’t lock up, as soon as you load it like accelerate out of a corner it will lock up. I imagine this will prematurely wear tires and play with steering feel.

That’s why I’m trying to find someone to share there experience all I can find are vendor testimonials

Thanks

I had a detroit locker in Defender 110 once, it is the same principle but much more refined and better.
You can steer your car by playing with the accelerator pedal, for example: accelerate in a turn and it will pull outside the corner a bit, let go the accelerator and it will pull inside the corner again. On wet roundabouts lots of understeer. Simple and effective offroad, not so good on road. Having a fulltime 4x4 will make it more forgivable than an RWD selectable 4x4 would.
The Lokka is a simple design and most of the time it will be locked so not so good road manners.

Thanks for the in-depth reply, being a majority bitumen car I’ll save for a Eaton electric diff lock

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would you not just swap the axle for a Toyota locker type

Depending how your fixed, you could get an ARB, yes expensive but you get a selectable diff lock, and on board air at the same.

Ooooooor....I am sure I read that with the with the minimum of work, you can fit the locker and axle shaft from a locked model? You then use a nice switch, something like a 'Carling' to activate it, at a guess using second hand parts a couple hundred quid?

Regards

Dave

toyota electric diff locks would be great, but I think they would have been a sought after item from the wreckers and 20 years later I doubt Toyota would have them.

I’ll investigate and post back

Thanks

I've had a front one when had my Isuzu (Holden Jackaroo for Aus) truly great bit of kit 80% of the time. Default is locked but unlocks on cornering unless under power. Made a ratchet type noise.

That was selectable 4 wheel drive with manual hubs.
Great off road but a pain on tight turns when needed to be under power uphill.

Rarely drove it on the road in 4wd but when I did in snow it was horrendous, wouldn't unlock most of the time. I kept it rwd unless really needed 4wd to keep moving.

In the rear will be different but for a mainly road use vehicle I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for your input Gary, what you have said is becoming repetitive. So I’ll be investing in a manual electric diff lock.

Thanks

G’day everyone

I’ve been quoted $3300 AU for a Eaton electric diff lock.

This is drive in drive out and includes new crown and pinion gears and all new bearings and seals.

Thanks

@Ben favours the Eaton Elockers and has tried a few including the ARB air locker I believe. If I was doing it I think that’s the way I’d go.

Reactions: Ben
Before LC days I run ARB both ends in my Discovery, a couple of minor issues but stood up to everything I threw at them including competition use, fantastic bit of kit.

OP lives in ARB country so supply and support plentiful.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
G,day fellas

My 80 series is all wheel drive, I don’t have the centre diff lock which you can engage in H4

I’m told ever model comes wired for it, does this mean all I need is the switch and wiring loom to the transfer case, then I’m good to go. Sounds to easy to be true.

It will lock the Centre diff (if everything’s connected and the fuse is in) when you put the transfer case into low range. Some 80s came with a CDL switch which you can retrofit to give you Centre diff lock in 4H. This is just the switch needed. @karl webster has some I believe. Otherwise it’s one from an Ozzy breaker.

G,day fellas

My 80 series is all wheel drive, I don’t have the centre diff lock which you can engage in H4

I’m told ever model comes wired for it, does this mean all I need is the switch and wiring loom to the transfer case, then I’m good to go. Sounds to easy to be true.

As per @StarCruiser you can fit the switch, you already have the diff lock which is activated when you select low range. The switch simply overrides the fact you are in high however, I cut one of the wires on the lock ECU on mine (cannot remember which), this PREVENTS low range selection locking the CD.

I was told later that only automatics needed this mod to force the transmission to hold the lower gears longer, so unsure what to suggest, it is possible fitting the switch disable the CD when in low range, so you need to use the switch.

I know low range with CD locked is a PITA, I found this when trying to reverse a heavy trailer into a drive way, nice sticky tarmac made the tyres protest.

Regards

Dave

As per @StarCruiser you can fit the switch, you already have the diff lock which is activated when you select low range. The switch simply overrides the fact you are in high however, I cut one of the wires on the lock ECU on mine (cannot remember which), this PREVENTS low range selection locking the CD.

I was told later that only automatics needed this mod to force the transmission to hold the lower gears longer, so unsure what to suggest, it is possible fitting the switch disable the CD when in low range, so you need to use the switch.

I know low range with CD locked is a PITA, I found this when trying to reverse a heavy trailer into a drive way, nice sticky tarmac made the tyres protest.

Regards

Dave

Mine’s a manual, but did a similar thing to cutting the wire, just pulled the low range diff lock plug ...

Low range is great with open diffs if you’re on a reasonably good track with steep / loose inclines, or tight bends, and for reversing heavy trailers on asphalt.

yes I think I pulled a plug on the gear/transfer box somewhere after fittingrhe cdl switch in the dash. With a VC it gives the 80 just about every 4wd option possible. If I was in oz I might consider front locking hubs for the 500mile round trip to the local off -licence

Back