Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Long Ranger tank

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Has anyone here got one of these tanks, or any other tank, mounted in the rear of their 80?

I have made a ply template of a tank I need fabricating but I'm struggling with the mount design.

I need some photos of how these are mounted and would appreciate a photo or two of where they mount to the chassis if possible.

I don't have a rear mounted tank, but I have seen them mounted above the rear wheel support. They are invariably supported by two straps similar to those holding up stock tanks in modern vehicles, the chassis having nut inserts fitted to take the support strap bolts, one guy made his tank and got the support straps from a suitable donor in a breakers yard. Just minimal cutting and bending needed to get the tank supported.

I had considered doing the same for mine, but I am sure by now members on here know just how hard it is to get through the yearly inspections here in Spain.

Regards,

Dave.

I had a 30 gallon aluminium tank made for a car. I thought I had better test it before filling with petrol. I taped some rubber over the inlets and filled it with about 1 psi. I poured very dilute washing up liquid over it. I had 3 leaks!! but was able to weld them then test again.

Thanks for the feed back folks. I have just watched this which doesn't really help.
I think I will get the folks who are fabricating the tank to work out a mounting solution too.

Just as an aside, when a used petrol tank needs to be welded, rather than filling it with water from a safety point of view, which also makes a decent weld difficult. You can get all the petrol fumes out by feeding the exhaust from a running diesel vehicle into the tank, within five minutes any petrol fumes left inside become inert, and you can weld safely straight afterwards.

Regards

Dave

Not sure if these help, but my long range tank mounts at the rear up to the chassis cross member

Attachments

• IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    433.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 18
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is where the front mounts, not very clear in the pics

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4061.jpeg
    IMG_4061.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4056.jpeg
    IMG_4056.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Andy, I really appreciate you taking the time to post these up.

It is difficult to see there and I guess as mine is bespoke the mounts will be different. I'm just trying to get an idea of the best way to mount this creation.

The rear mounts are basically angle iron welded to the tank, with corner gussets & drilled to bolt up to the chassis, it’s been a long time (prob 12 years) since I fitted it and can’t really remember, but I am making a new bash guard for it, that’s why it’s exposed.
not sure if it shows any better detail on the long ranger website

So are these tanks bolted solidly to the chassis? I thought tanks had to be strapped to allow some movement.

The oem aux tanks are strapped to the body like the main tank. The aftermarket tanks mount to the chassis. Stronger that I guess to carry the additional weight.

The oem aux tanks are strapped to the body like the main tank. The aftermarket tanks mount to the chassis. Stronger that I guess to carry the additional weight.
That really surprises me Jon.
Fuel tanks should never be fixed solidly as this can cause them to develop cracks. Even huge lorry fuel tanks are strapped to allow them a little movement as the fuel movement inside is constantly trying to shift it.

I guess it must be okay as I have never heard of a Long Ranger or similar failing.

The Long Ranger was fitted before I got the 81 and as Jon said, it seems to be attached to the top of the chassis rails at either side. Can't really get a useful photo I'm afraid. It has been on there for quite a while with no sign of problems. It's well made of 2mm steel and the shape and internal baffling must help with its durability. I don't have the original fitting instructions, but there did seem to be mention of a fitting kit supplied with it. Perhaps Long Ranger might be able to help with a pdf ?

Back