Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking for an honest ad/seller

fridayman

Garage
I went and had a look at another "immaculate" one last night "with 1 owner and full Toyota service history". This one had a nice fresh puddle of oil under it (apparently it stood there for 4 hours). The atf fluid smelled burnt. Something made a horrible rattle (really loud, you had to stop talking) at certain revs. The bumpers (front and rear) and just under the rear window had been painted to hide the corrosion, except the person had not cleaned the corrosion off first!? There was no service history for the last 50k miles (since the 2nd!? owner had it), except receipts to fix all the MOT failures...

Help! I need a good 80.

Keep looking, and weed out the duffers.

Graham

There is quite a good network on this site for people to go and look for you if they are far away :cool:

Paul said:
There is quite a good network on this site for people to go and look for you if they are far away :cool:

I didn't think of that...

I'm also starting to look at 90's now. They seem to be in far better condition in general. I accept that the 90 won't be quite as good off-road, but with a few mods it may be a better vehicle for our trip and as my daily driver.

What sort of budget are you looking to spend, 90 do seem to be more than capable
I think you might have looked at one already but 100 series are great cars, the Independent front suspension does make a great daily driver, they handle pretty well for such a big car.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't stray from the path, 80 is the one to go for ;)

Well I've found a standard 90 in pretty good condition overall. It wasn't the greatest deal ever (£4800 including a years tax and MOT), but it's done 113k miles and has an excellent service history (all the stamps, receipts, timing belt done, lots by main dealers etc). It is a 99 auto so hopefully I won't have any issues with. It does need a new drivers door card and lid for the centre cubby (the whole lid has been cracked like someone stood on it).

You won't be disappointed in the 90 - I have an 80 (MUX) as my DD/plaything & a 90/Colorado for the family car. We got the Colorado first & then I decided I needed to go offroad so got the 80 to use rather than risk damaging the family truck.

However, as Lord Muxley failed his MOT in the week, I used the Colorado on Sunday to go out laning with a couple of buddies. Wow, what a revalation!!! Very very impressed with it once I had got used to the manual instead of auto. Extremely capable on slightly oversize BFG A/T tyres... But I will need to make some sliders now as those steps are a different shape to the start of the day ;-)

I hope the truck is a good one for you - those cubby lids are a waste of time though ;-)

Cheers

I didn't really want to spend any more money right away, but I might look into a lift, suspension and bigger AT tyres so that I can go and have a play :)

Just use it as it is for a while & get to like it. I really enjoyed using mine (well, the wife's...) on Sunday :cool:

I have a SWB 90 which has had quite a few modification made to it, and it is quite a capable machine. Does it get stuck, sure, but so did some 80's at the last Lincomb meeting. I guess it all depends on what you want to be doing with it?

If we had SWB 80's in the UK then that is what I would have looked for. I did not want another LWB sittinig on my drive, so hence me getting a 90.

Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy.

fridayman said:
I didn't really want to spend any more money right away, but I might look into a lift, suspension and bigger AT tyres so that I can go and have a play :)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the slippery slope of mods :lol:

Joe

Back