Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to get into the 100 series

HaHa of course, and thats an old comparison at street prices approx 2+ years back - when paying 65p / litre
I have a 120L LPG tank that holds 80L on about all fill-ups and get 260 - 280Miles per tank
Re; energy density, agreed BUT you really wouldn't know the difference ... when running and under the bonnet the only difference is the LPG solenoids make a louder 'click'
The engine is amazingly quite and smooth - like night and day compared to the diesel's
The ONLY thing I could ever say I miss about the diesels is the ability to lift the engine revs while warming-up in snow and ice..... V8 LPG - RULE's. haha

Thought so. Makes it liveable MPG though pound for pound. I appreciate the allore of petrol as they're just superior for everyday driving.

Really we should be doing the calculation how much £ $ € /mile .... the MPG is all a bit loose now that there are so many electric vehicles
Best wishes

um, mpg is a unit? It’s how many miles the vehicle drives on one gallon of fuel. There’s nothing vague or arbitrary about it. I guess if it’s a hybrid it only tells half the story, but as a UZJ100 is a full IC vehicle, it’s pretty straightforward. If you meant £/mile you should have said - or said that at like MPG equivalent. Otherwise It’s like saying I’m 1830” tall, whereas I’m actually 1830mm tall…

We all know 2UZs can’t get anywhere near 38mpg, in fact even 20 is exceptional. So saying you get 38 makes everyone think you’re either really bad at maths or fabricating it. Much better just to use the unit you measured in first up

I agree its a unit, and if MPG is important great - use it. I last filled my car in April 2021 with Petrol, its probably 60% full - the price was then £1.09/Litre for unleaded, locally, now its £1.44, for my interests the important metric has to be journey cost or monthly spend. LPG is sooooo advantageous - of course fully charging an electric car to do >300 miles for £16 of sparks is a whole lot sexier.

Actual numbers on my LPG; LPG fill-up from empty is 83L, that will take me 260-280 miles - lets use 270 - Miles/83L of LPG so Litres to Gallons at 4.54L/Gal. 83 / 4.54 = 18.28 Gals. MPG using LPG and absolutely no noticeable power loss 270 miles / 18.28Gals = 14.77 MPG ... that fill-up cost < £60. PETROL today £1.44 X 95L = £136.8 for a fill-up and ONLY going up in price in our life time my previous figs for running petrol is at best I get 15MPG - I have to say the car has more go in it when just filled with LPG
conclusion get an electric car if you are doing substantial milage

8-10 years back I did one of my long runs down to the Algarve running the car on Hydrogen and LPG mix, is a lot of fafff for the saving but certainly interesting results, from mem we were filling up with LPG at more like 360 miles rather than 250/270 miles .... the motor liked the Hydrogen for sure, it seemed even smoother too ..... of course we cant easily buy Hydrogen kits here in the UK, probably because we are not giving Boris any Tax

That’s more like it… still - 18 is quite good on LPG. Is it on liquid injection? Here LPG is still pretty common - I’d say 75% of petrol cruises are on gas. They always use more gas than petrol, and have less power. But then no one goes liquid injection normally where real gains can be made. Generally the trade off is just worth it, if you ignore the increased head consumption. I’ve owned and driven several LPG cars and in the right circumstances would again. However, a diesel version is generally always cheaper to run. Eg my fzj105 was on gas. Petrol was 19 L/100km, gas 22 L/100. I ripped the 1FZ out and put an FTE in, which gives 12 L/100 (actually often 11.5). Diesel is currently ~ $1.60/L, gas $1.14/L here, so much cheaper to run diesel.

What’re UK LPG prices? What’s availability like? Electric is still not practical here, we regularly do 1000km in a day in the 105, it can do 1500 at a push in one fill, and it can be had almost anywhere - 5 minutes and it’s full again. Electric is coming, but for substantial mileage it’s only suitable for urban areas at the moment.

Hydrogen mix - how does that affect valve lube, head temps, cylinder pressure and AFRs?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
LPG is actually fairly easy to find in most towns in England, Scotland and Wales too. .. your eye soon learns how to spot the 3rd row of costs on the fuel-price boards out side fuel stations.
The Hydrogen is a fab solution, other than the H generator its the cost of water, I am sure the car felt sharper/cleaner during and after, if I was only doing long runs I would make a serious effort to make a permanent fixture .... there are a bunch of guys in CA doing this stuff full time AND for diesel's too as an additive which gives a more complete burn and a serious fuel cost reduction - POLLUTION TOO .... we all sadly know how smokey the 4.7 LX's etc get over the years

best wishes

Interesting thread and comments. I had a 4.2TD 100 from 1998 a few years ago until it was costing more to keep than it was worth so it had to go (bad initial choice too much rust). I then found a pretty good 4.7 VX from 1999 which i've had for about a year and a half now. Neither are used for repeated long journeys and i don't do many miles a year so wasn't specifically looking for one or the other at the time.
The 4.2 would get 16-17mpg around town and best of 24mph on motorway cruising, didn't matter if just me or 5 up towing a trailer. The petrol gets 19.5 best on motorway, is more sensitive to speed though with optimal about 70mph or just under; around town is less, never measured as not bothered. It was bought with LPG but had it removed as wanted a simple car, just petrol without any bits on it - plus we were due to move house and there wasn't a LPG station within 30miles so just wasn't needed, plus it took up the boot which i needed so bought the extra seats and made back to 7 seater.
Given the choice, for what i need, I'd have another V8. Just love the noise it makes, sooo smooth to drive.
IF i was doing more miles (~5-6k/year just now) then i'd consider the 4.2 again but with the difference in prices it was a no brainer for me for what i need.

VERY interested in the hydrogen comments though, that is something i'm keeping an eye on.

Back