Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looks leaky, but not sure what part..

srmnm

Country Flag
ireland
Hi All,

Bought an 80 about 6 weeks ago and have been going through the motions of getting it into shape. I've noticed what seems to be a slight leak from a part of the engine just above the alternator a little bit higher than the level of the oil filter. The picture is taken 180 degrees from oil filter.

Toyota Landcruiser GXL 80 Series
Model: FZJ80R GNPNKQ

Engine Code: 1FZ-FE

IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4823.JPGIMG_4845.JPG
(Forum seems to have posted this upside down. Even rotating them on my laptop they still post upside down. Apologies.)

Anyone have any idea what causes this or any indication of how serious it is?

Thank you in advance for any help. (Wont even show you what the steering knuckle looks like! eeep!!)

Will

Attachments

• IMG_4814.JPG
    IMG_4814.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4823.JPG
    IMG_4823.JPG
    789.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4845.JPG
    IMG_4845.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Any chance of a picture or two taken further away from the engine?

regards

Dave

Any chance of a picture or two taken further away from the engine?

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Its pretty tight. My cameraphone is just above the oil filter and pointed just above the alternator (in the pictures from the original post).

See this picture for the region the above pics point at. It is about 1/2ft down.
IMG_4848.JPG

Thanks,
Will

Attachments

• IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 141
Loose nut won't be helping by look of it

Ok, while we're at it. Also noticed these concerning sights looking up from underneath on the same side.
View attachment 21026
View attachment 21027

:(

Oh and front passenger AND driver steering knuckles are both leaking (gear oil and knuckle grease combining.. i think)
View attachment 21028
View attachment 21029

I've no garage pit, no experience or tools to get stuck-In myself (as much as i'd like to). Feel like im in for either an expensive few weeks... ideas are welcome.

FML
(And all my pictures are uploading upside down)

Is that not the engine coolant drain cock? That's where it's supposed to be I think?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that not the engine coolant drain cock? That's where it's supposed to be I think?
Cant say for sure. I took a look at some old threads to see if I could give a definite confirmation. You're right, it's supposed to be here somewhere, but if you look at these threads they show where it is for 1HD-T for sure.

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...Where-is-the-coolant-drain-cock-on-the-engine

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...h-the-Cooling-System-prior-to-Radiator-change

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/40281-Engine-block-drain-cocks

Either way, on mine (1FZ-FE) it seemed to be coolant. Have since cleaned and tightened up bolt, guessing previous owner started something they forgot to finish!
IMG_4909.JPG

Case closed.

On a side note from one of my earlier posts (groan!) the scraper seals were in poor shape and leaking. Front axle needed to be stripped down to replace them on both sides.

Now... time to get a part time kit fitted!

Back