Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loosing power

AlexDukes

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have had my LJ70 for one year.

It is the 2.4 turbo (I don't know which model number that is! Sorry!)

I live in the mountains in France and now need to trust it to get me to work every day at the local ski station.

As you can imagine, there are some steep mountain roads heading up to the station and I am finding that the car is progressively losing power the more times I head up to work, I was managing 55km/h and now getting 45 km/h, in 3rd

I have also noticed that when I reach the top of the mountain and I am at my slowest, with my foot to the floor, I have nearly no oil pressure on the guage!?!

-Oil level seems fine
-recently change all the fuel lines
-recently dropped the tank and cleaned it out the best I could
-recently changed the fuel filter

Also when I start the car in the evening at the station, I get a strong smell of fuel, almost like its overfueling, it then seems to take a while for it to 'clear its throat'.

I have no problems starting the car in the morning, and starts first go every time

I would love some advise as to what to do next!

Hi and welcome...

It appears that the only bits you have not touched in the fuel system are the pump and the injectors so I would suggest using some injector cleaner added to the fuel to see if that reduces the power loss. The cleaner will improve the injector spray pattern and remove a degree of the carbon build up.

Does it smoke when you are climbing? If so what colour is the smoke?

Replacing the fuel lines, cleaning the tank, etc... did you have similar problems before and when you cleaned the tank were you able to get to and clean the filter?

Regards,

Rodger

Before I cleaned the fuel system, it wasn't similar at all, much worse, the car felt like it was running on 3 cylinders back then, so much better now!

I installed a new fuel filter in the engine bay, but not sure whether you are taking about a different fuel filter??

As far as smoke is concerned when climbing usually there is not much smoke but there is usually a plume of black/grey smoke when changing gear, lasts for a short while then dies off

What could cause the oil pressure to drop off?

Hi, when I had one of these Lj70's I had a similar issue, it was the fuel filter inside the tank that was blocked, mine was tank out and replace the fuel filter that is on the end of the fuel pick up. once changed all was back running fine, cheers Jon

The low oil pressure could be partly due to fuel diluting the oil.
You mentioned that when you start the car in the evening there is a lot of smoke which takes a while to clear.
If the engine is over fuelling, some of the unburnt diesel will find its way into the sump, mixing with the engine oil and making it much thinner.
Once you've fixed the fuelling issue, an oil and filter change would be a good idea.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hey alex
I had similar problem many times with my old 2.4 2lt engine.
first time I had blocked reticulated fuel filter inside tank ,Second time I had blocked tank vent which is located above right rear wheel. It make vacuum in the tank and difficulties for the fuel pimp. Remove tank plug and trie to drive without.
for low oil pressure I think you need to put some quality oil and filter change,if nothing change,measure pressure with a special tool
Best Regards

So on another forum, I was advised to look at the actuator so I thought I would have a go at that first as it's an easy job, no change

But I did notice on last night's test run that at 3000rpm, the car just started spluttering as if it can't clear its throat and no power

I am also slightly worried as last year I cleaned out the tank the best I could, installed a new pickup and new fuel lines, is it possible that the new filter in the tank is already that bad?

If it can't breathe properly due to an air flow restriction the same problems will occur.

If the car is not breathing properly, where should I be looking?

When you changed the fuel lines did you replace the small flexi fuel pipe that sits between the chassis line and the engine feed line? If not change it as when they age they swell inwards and restrict the flow of fuel.
Airflow checks? As bobo2 says - tank vent. Assuming the fuel line replacement included a new in-tank filter - similar for the return pipe - it's a circuit. If the return filter is blocked then the fuel cannot circulate (the engine takes what it needs and returns the rest) and that would give over-fuelling as it has nowhere else to go.

Regards,

Rodger

I actually changed both fuel lines for plastic pipe from tank to engine

Where is the return filter

So tonight I have removed the fuel pick up from the fuel tank and removed the filter which didn't look too bad. I then reinstalled the pick up without the filter (wrong, I know) but I just wanted to cross off problems.

I used the pump on the filter in the engine bay to get the lines primed I have some clear pipe so I can see it is good.

Took the car for a drive and it did seem better for 45 seconds, then started spluttering again.

I now seem to be getting a lot of air in the system, I can see it in the clear pipe. I just don't know where the air is coming from? As mentioned before they are new plastic pipes that I have installed from tank to engine without any joints or connections.

Any help would be much appreciated

Did you removed tank plug and tried to drive ?

So tonight I have removed the fuel pick up from the fuel tank and removed the filter which didn't look too bad. I then reinstalled the pick up without the filter (wrong, I know) but I just wanted to cross off problems.

I used the pump on the filter in the engine bay to get the lines primed I have some clear pipe so I can see it is good.

Took the car for a drive and it did seem better for 45 seconds, then started spluttering again.

I now seem to be getting a lot of air in the system, I can see it in the clear pipe. I just don't know where the air is coming from? As mentioned before they are new plastic pipes that I have installed from tank to engine without any joints or connections.

Any help would be much appreciated
Hi this is the guy from the other forum who recommended checking to see if the waste gate was stuck opened. Once you get done doing all this other really complicated stuff, if the problem isn't fixed . Just take the heat shield off the turbo so you can see the waste gate rod better. Then grad the wast gate lever with some big players or a crescent wrench and swing it open and closed a few times to free it up. And thats it. Also i find mine cold starts best with no throttle. A little extra fuel tends to flood it and make it start rough and smoky.

Thanks Mike I did give that a go without removing the heat shield, how much should the waste gate move? I reckon I can move it roughly 3-5mm?

As far as the air in the fuel line, bearing in mind I have new pipes going from tank to engine with no joints or connections, I am guessing it is coming from the seal around the fuel pickup?? Or could it be coming from a tank breather pipe??? ?

You need to drive without the fuel cap on to make sure you defo have the tank vented. If it cures it you need to find the tank breather and overhaul it. Bubbles in the fuel may not be air. If the tank breather is blocked the excess vacuum in the line from the tank can cause bubbles. If there is in fact air you have to trace and check the feed line you installed and fittings right back to the surface level of the fuel in the tank.

Thanks Frank, I have a new filler pipe that I haven't bothered installing yet, is it an easy fit? Or do you have to drop the tank?? (really don't want to do that again!!)

Back