Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loosing power

UPDATE

So today I have done the following :

- tightened down the fuel pickup with new bolts as tight as I could
- checked that jubilee clips are tight on the fuel lines at the tank and engine
- taken off the fuel cap and run the car like that.
- checked the fuel filter is tight and that the drain plug on the fuel filter is tight.

I am now getting SO MUCH air in the fuel line that I can prime the line in the engine bay, the car will run and run well for about 60 seconds then it just cuts out

I then look at the clear pipe that I installed on the return loop and there is either huge bubbles or no fuel whatsoever!

Where is this air coming from????

Bearing in mind that I have replaced the fuel lines front to back with new pipes with no connections or joints in between??

Any ideas? I need this car to be reliable to get me to work!

UPDATE

So today I have done the following :

- tightened down the fuel pickup with new bolts as tight as I could
- checked that jubilee clips are tight on the fuel lines at the tank and engine
- taken off the fuel cap and run the car like that.
- checked the fuel filter is tight and that the drain plug on the fuel filter is tight.

I am now getting SO MUCH air in the fuel line that I can prime the line in the engine bay, the car will run and run well for about 60 seconds then it just cuts out

I then look at the clear pipe that I installed on the return loop and there is either huge bubbles or no fuel whatsoever!

Where is this air coming from????

Bearing in mind that I have replaced the fuel lines front to back with new pipes with no connections or joints in between??

Any ideas? I need this car to be reliable to get me to work!

Hi, as with al vehicle/ engine problems it is a process of elimination. Some are immediately recognised some not, look at the evidence, air bubbles, always a good telltale of a bad joint where the pipes meet either with another pipe or the nipple on the tank. Check that the jubilee clips or clamps are not distorting the pipe to allow air to be sucked in, these joints have to be perfect, and the area to check first is the end that connects to the fuel supply, You have replaced the pipes, check the joining parts, there may be perforated parts elsewhere, look for “wet” patches on the fuel line, when you get the car running check for leaks, a piece of toilet tissue dabbed around the spots you can reach but can’t see might reveal a leak, but as ever do not be discouraged by failure, all it means is you ain’t found the problem yet, I am not a mechanic but this all basic diagnostics, if you’ve checked all you can you may need professional help as we all sometimes do.
Recently we had a problem with an old( 06) Transit diesel, loss of “go” turned to be the air filter had disintegrated and blocked the flow of air, it was the last thing looked at, and you couldn’t see it until it was removed, as I said, a process of elimination, but air bubbles in the fuel line make that area the chief suspect, Best regards to all, Bill Westley

Try starting by first running a shot peace of hose from the primer housing to a gallon jug of fuel. See if it primes and runs off the gallon of fuel. If not the air leak is in the primer/filter. If the fuel primes and runs the trouble is farther back.

A vacuum tester (Mityvac or similar) and a set of suitably sized bungs are handy to test for air leaks.

Well, it turned out to be the fuel filter or fuel filter head, not sure yet, so for the moment I have just bypassed it with an I line filter and the engine seems to be better than ever Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, it turned out to be the fuel filter or fuel filter head, not sure yet, so for the moment I have just bypassed it with an I line filter and the engine seems to be better than ever Thanks
Great. Glad to hear you figured it out. I replaced the filter and primer on mine first thing because i heard they could be problematic. Ebay- 2lt fuel primer and filter
2l 3l 23301-54410 $45.50.

Another very simple thing i found that really wakes up a 2lte is removing and cleaning the battery terminals and cables. The electronics like a clean non staticy voltage. You will notice an improvement on startup.

Back