Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lotta bottle or ......

Brian S

Country Flag
england
just plain stupid, the latter I feel, makes me nervous just watching it :dizzy:

This is one of those internet viral trends that really bothers me. Free climbing like this is the most ridiculously stupid thing I can imagine. Climbing and standing on a crane arm on top of a building wearing street shoes and filming yourself is Darwin award stuff.

Bottle .

Mind over matter , pitting your intelligence against your instinct and winning . If that ledge was 2ft off the ground could you do it ?

His instincts a screaming danger telling him to drop down and grab on with both arms and legs , that's exactly what he will do if he loses balance and he knows this because his intelligence tells him so . The risk is real but calculated .

I agree with the principle of how you achieve it, it certainly is a mental challenge. Phillipe Petit calculated the risk when he walked the tightrope between the twin towers, and was prepared to accept the risk after years of perfecting his craft. I'm not sure all of these 19 year old daredevils have. But it's their choice I suppose

I remember having a lengthy conversation about the principals years ago while balanced on a ledge that led to nowhere on an almost shear rock face :shock:
I felt sure just turning my head to look back the way i had come would tip the balance and send me crashing down on the rocks and surf below . By some fluke i managed to turn around only to find my mate frozen in fear and blocking my only escape route . I understood fear then , i have no idea how long it took me to convince him that if he didn't find courage to turn then he will kill me too as instinct will make him grab me . His answer to that was suicide :wtf:

Took us about 5 hours and we both made it to the top , he never went climbing again :lol:

Before getting into IT I used to repair cranes. Tower cranes, gantry cranes etc. Mind over matter (but I would not do that)
Walk a yellow line on the road - easy. Now walk a rail 50m up. Same thing once you get used to it.

Still - o would not do that high...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My first time up a tower crane was my last, I only went up to see what it was like.

I've done my share of beam and girder walking, but nothing like that gif, thank goodness.

All my projects have kept me at below 150 m but TBH, that's high enough for me. I'm not keen at all these days.

There is only 3 stages of height

1, Not high
2,This might hurt
3 dead high

The fall is not the problem its the sudden stop at the bottom that's the problem .

Been up on the house roof fixing a bit of wind damage from the other days storms, Quite high enough for me these days, though I have had a touch of ring flutter on a few rock climbs in the past.

Having kids changes us i think , i have none but when i went on a Ferris wheel with my stepdaughter and the kid that calls me grandad last year in gran canaria i was shocked to feel physically sick , he was excited and his parents seemed relaxed but i said give him to me because i could see a hundred ways for things to go wrong .

There is only 3 stages of height

1, Not high
2,This might hurt
3 dead high

The fall is not the problem its the sudden stop at the bottom that's the problem .

True enough.

A guy fell 32 m from the M4 River Neath Crossing bridge when we were building it, he landed on his side ... and lived. That was dead high.

16 months in hospital, the (multiple) broken bones were no problem, the main concern was all his displaced organs. Torn liver, ruptured kidney, detached other kidney, punctured and torn lung, the list went on and on, one hell of a mess.

Back