Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Loud whistling from lc200

Jon Ball

Country Flag
australia
My 2014 lc200, 62,000km, developed a load whistle yesterday, starts only under load around 1800rpm getting REALLY load at 3000rpm. Measured dab today, 135 dba inside the car! Other cars on the M1 were pulling over as I approached thinking it’s an emergency siren, it’s that loud. I was towing my boat, going up gradients, whistle is loudest ( engine under most load). At idle and in neutral, no whistle, but rev to 2000rpm it starts and whistle is loud, but not as bad as driving under acceleration. Whistle stops immediately when throttle is backed off. Today, Starting the car, when cold, no whistle, drove 1km, whistle is back as loud as ever. Air box and filter are clean, always serviced on schedule at Toyota dealer where purchased. Any ideas where to start looking please?

Sounds turbo boost related, any pipes come adrift?

Turbo related split pipe on the intake or crank breather .

Or maybe egr related
I know my vdj76 on down shift whistles and after research found its related to egr

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could be a broken exhaust but the mileage makes me think not. As others have said look for broken or separated pipes or any holes in the intake system.

Gents, thanks for all of your input. Found the cause, you guys were on the money! A hose clamp on the air intake to turbo pipe had come loose, it was loosely sliding along the pipe. I recently had a suspension upgrade and it looks like it may have been removed and not replaced correctly. Simple fix in the end but your replies helped me pinpoint the issue, thank again. Jon.

Gents, thanks for all of your input. Found the cause, you guys were on the money! A hose clamp on the air intake to turbo pipe had come loose, it was loosely sliding along the pipe. I recently had a suspension upgrade and it looks like it may have been removed and not replaced correctly. Simple fix in the end but your replies helped me pinpoint the issue, thank again. Jon.
Glad it’s sorted Jon. :thumbup: Thanks for letting us know.

Back