Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LPG or Diesel

I have had it about 4 years it's got 200k on the clock, and I have it on a set of 20s so have no spare wheel

Yes, the facelift dash is a big step backwards, at least when comparing the versions w/o integral navigation.

For the diesel, there is a big difference between the 4-sp and the 5-sp. Both the ECU and the gearbox handle things differently, in addition to improvements in the engine.

When it comes to full size LCs and driving on roads, the petrol versions have always been smoother imho, both 6iL and v8 versions.

Thanks for your input Paddler Ed. I think the systems that are fitted here all start on petrol and then switch to LPG. The running hotter and burning dryer I am aware of.

I agree with you Jon that the V8 will be much smoother and quieter than my diesel. I must get out and have some test drives as I've not driven a 100 yet!

A relief I wont have to change rad or hoses.

Thanks for everyones help so far. Much apprieciated. This is the first forum I have ever posted on, computers and I dont get on, and it seems to be full of knowledge. cheers.

Petrol engines are almost always smoother than diesel engines in like for like configurations. Its all to do with the effective cylinder pressures being significantly higher in a diesel than a petrol engine.

A 6 cylinder inline engine will almost always be smoother than a V8 with the same fuel. Its all down to second order harmonics in the V8 not being cancelled out whereas in am inline 6 both first and second order harmonics are cancelled out.

The best solution is a dual fuel diesel + LPG. more power, more torque, cheaper fuel.
In South Africa I found company which do diesel conversion to dual fuel
autogasafrica.co.za

My 4.7 V8 is Petrol only.

If you use the vehicle as just a local run around then its OK.
I could never use this to go long distances, it just doesn't provide the fuel efficiency, I just use it as a LOcal V8 pose machine ;)

Never even thought about LPG it , mind you I don't know any garages around here who has gas :(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
220k now. Bought a spare wheel that sits in the boot. You will need a flash lube system fitting as petrol cools the cylinders as it is injected in and gas doesn't. You can down load a couple of apps that tell you where the gas stations are I have 3 on my journey to work. And I generally don't struggle with the finding of stations

In the end I bought the first V8 100 I looked at and picked it up on 1/1/13. Its a 53 plate face lift with a 5 speed and had done 109,000 miles. An LPG conversion, £2,000, had been done 2.5 years previously at 60,000 miles and a flashlube system was fitted at the same time. Its the best car I have owned and its now done 121,000 miles. As a tow car its awesome and running costs are no worse than the diesel, 160 miles per LPG fill in town. The suspension is fantastic and I never thought I would say it but I prefer it to my 80. Fortunate to have 3 LPG garages within 2 miles.

On the 28th its going to Charlie at Prospeed in Cardiff to have a complete stainless steel exhaust fitted as the existing is shot. Toyota wanted £3000 but Charlie is fitting it for £950 and it comes with a lifetime guarantee!!! At last it will sound like a V8. Happy days.

Back