Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lube oil filtration

nathanrobo

many will know that I supply centrifuges for filtering veg oil and biodiesel to sub-micron levels.

I've also posted in the past about fitting one of these to my 100 series (i've shipped a lot to the U.S. and Canada which have been fitted on large diesel 4 x 4's)

I've never really promoted them for fitting to engines, although this is their primary application, but the manufacturer has developed a very small unit with fitting kit for smaller sumps and a Cut Off Valve so that the fuge will not take any oil flow until the oil pressure hits 1.8 bar.

Big diesel engine manufacturers like Cummins, CAT, GM ect fit these on large diesel engines for Marine, Generators etc. The idea is that oil filters (barrier method) are a bit of a compromise as they filter between 10 to 25 micron depending on quality etc. But around 60% of wear is caused by hard carbon particles <8 micron. Centrifuges remove the soot / carbon particles as they are produced keeping the oil clean (preventing it turning black) allowing service intervals to be extended and wear reduced. A cake of soot can be removed from time to time and can be inspected for metal particles.

I was wondering before I take the plunge and bring some in with my next order, whether folk will be intrested. I expect that they would be pretty cheap.

How would these be fitted to the lubrication system? Would it just be a spacer on the filter or plumb into the oil cooler or something completely different?

Also do they need to be cleaned out?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I would like more info on how they work and what is involved in fitting them please.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interesting - do you do diesel filters / separators as well?

I know the Disco has one (maybe two). I'd be very interested. I have seen the effect on keeping the oil clean. Now I don't want to get into a whole debate about oil, it's properties, mechanical breakdown etc - why? Frankly because it's boring. Slightly cleaner oil for slightly longer would be nice and for me, that's reason enough. I think that they only so a small percentage of the oil at any one time. The Disco one is powered by oil pressure and spins around 25k rpm IIRC. How would this unit work?

Chris

The oil gallery runs along the side of the block, so you can connect into this with a union, then use a hose assembly that connects to the front of the centrifuge. There are two ways of fitting the unit... either mount onto the rocker cover so that it will drain directly into the top of the engine or mount in the engine compartment somewhere and drain back through a 3/4" hose that fits's to a flanged union on the sump.

When I finally do this on my LC I was going to put a hydraulic tee before the gauge. This would allow me to look at the oil pump's true pressure.

Last edited:
How would these be fitted to the lubrication system? Would it just be a spacer on the filter or plumb into the oil cooler or something completely different?

Also do they need to be cleaned out?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cleaning is realy simpe, just undo outer cover, remove rotor cap, undo nut on the top of the rotor cap and pull it off. Inside is a paper insert which you pull out with the carbon cake on it.

I know the Disco has one (maybe two). I'd be very interested. I have seen the effect on keeping the oil clean. Now I don't want to get into a whole debate about oil, it's properties, mechanical breakdown etc - why? Frankly because it's boring. Slightly cleaner oil for slightly longer would be nice and for me, that's reason enough. I think that they only so a small percentage of the oil at any one time. The Disco one is powered by oil pressure and spins around 25k rpm IIRC. How would this unit work?

Chris

Chris

The centrifuge works in the same way as the Disco, but it has a serviceable rotor - AFAIK the Disco 'spinner' has a sealed rotor, so that you have to give LR some money every service.

With this one there are no consumables. Just clean and reuse.

I've 5 centrifuges that I think are the right size for our LC engines. They're smaller with very fine jets, I'm just waiting on a bracket with an inlet and I'll try one out on my truck, see what results I get - so I'll post again shortly.

Pic below shows the proposed filter next to sort of size that would be on a truck engine.

IMG_2761.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2761.jpg
    IMG_2761.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
Back