Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Made a mistake thread update

frank rabbets said:
Hi
. I used to keep the throttle fully open and there was a nice squeel from both tyres when they landed.

Frank

then i snap of the half shafts :lol:

Well it is a rover :lol:

Joe

The half shafts were the only thing that didn't go wrong.
Brilliant design, the very first Range Rovers, but terrible quality.

Frank

Where do i find the VC Frank & how do i check it's working correctly ?

The VC lives in the rear transfer case extension (the bit that the rear propshaft bolts onto). The VC is a sealed unit so removing the t/case extension housing and digging out the VC won't help much unless you're planning to remove it. A faulty VC would act like a locked centre diff AFAIK - your problem, if there is one, is the opposite :?: Perhaps VCs can fail and end up allowing unlimited slip but the only anecdotes are recall are of them locking up when they get old and thus need to be removed to allow the CD to do its job - which is why Frank removed his I think.

It's hard to check the VC is working properly - easier to tell when it's not if your CD is locking up when you haven't intentionally locked it (i.e. you're not in low range.)

Cheers,

If you disconnect one of the prop shafts at the transfer box with the transfer in neutral and try turning the transfer box output flange it should be hard work to turn - that's mostly the VC resisting you. If it turns quite easily you either don't have a VC, the VC isn't working or you disconnected both props :lol:

Thanks, sorry iv'e not replied sooner, been feeling rough, will check when feeling better, have to go in hosi next Tuesday for more surgery after the NHS's last **** up, so may be a while,keep you posted, if i survive !!!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back