Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Malfunctioning rear / tailgate washer

spnk

Country Flag
moldova
Hello, guys!

Long time no see, but always good to be back!
As owning a 90 is a never-ending project of fixing and improving things (if you actually care about that), I've decided to give it another go to solving my rear window washer problem. The thing is that if I leave the pump connected it just works constantly, and it doesn't matter if I press the button on the switch or not, eventually draining the washer tank. No other issues with the front one, or the wipers. Tried connecting a different, working rear pump (which is btw identical to the headlights one), but still same thing. So then this leaves me with two options, I hope: it's either the switch or the relay. And I think it's most likely the switch (that small button to be more precise), as there's only one relay for both front and rear washers/wipers, and only one fuse. Maybe someone can share their experience on this, before I order the wrong part? Going to an electrician is not necessarily an option as I'm again in the middle of nowhere, and I do love to fix these little things on my own. I mean it takes half an hour tops to change any of these two parts.

Your answers will be kindly appreciated.

Last edited:
Constant on sounds like a relay more than the switch to me.. I've found that stalks give intermittent issues rather than out and out failure as they are mostly sprung contacts.

I replaced the headlight stalk on mine a year or so back, as it was throwing up issues with the Hi-Lo beam.

Right, thank you! So I guess it's that relay box that's behind the cover of the rear door, same one that's for the wiper, correct? The part no. for it would be 85940-60070 / 052100-2780 ?

Last edited:
Changing my mind on this one - I thought it sounded like a stuck relay.

But I looked at the haynes wiring diagram and it looks like its ground side switched, so I'm suspecting the switch.

What year is your 95, there are two wiring diagrams!

It's a 1998 KZJ90L-GJMNTW. VIN is JT111GJ9000018156

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure which diagram applies to yours, but don't think it matters.

Try this - disconnect the plug from the washer pump. Check continuity between the LR (Blue/Red) wire and ground. If it's at ground when the switch is off, I think the switch is knackered.

Attachments

• 20210115_175604.jpg
    20210115_175604.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210115_175538.jpg
    20210115_175538.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 47
Okido, will give it a try tomorrow, and come back here.
Thanks!

Ok, my multimeter decided to get an early retirement, and I still didn't find another one around here. But, I did get the chance to order another switch for real cheap (5 euros), along with some other parts, swapped it with the old one, and still got the same issue. That means the relay is probably the problem, or worst case scenario - a cable somewhere in the harness. Will try to get a hold of another relay and see how that goes.
But for now the new-old switch will take its place in my collection of replacement parts which I thought needed changing :sweatsmile:

New switch new relay not much left is there!

Must be a wiring problem, did you dig out your multimeter?

New switch new relay not much left is there!

Must be a wiring problem, did you dig out your multimeter?
Yep, that's the only option left. My multimeter has suddenly stopped working. I'll get another one as soon as I get the chance.

Mystery solved. One of the previous owners left a nice surprise in the form of a bunch of chewed up cables behind the trim board, so now everything has been fixed, and I have a working rear windscreen washer.

Back