Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Memory Map

Not seen this device before, but I see it's made by Snooper. I have a Snooper spped camera device and it's the worst bit of technology I ever bought. It may just be that particular model, but it takes it upwards of 5 mins to pick up satalites and start working. It's even been replaced, and still the same.

This might be better, but I am just cautious when it comes to Snooper now.

Edit: Just found it, it's this one, Snooper Saffire

Looks pretty nice. I see they've also launched an app on the iPhone which is damn good, and not bad at £20 or so (the free one is good too :p )

Cheers

I like the idea of the 7" screen and the ability to use it for normal road driving and dragging in memory map files for green laneing, trying to work out what other maps it can use for adventures further afield, I was reading that the euro version of memory map has the ability to calibrate scanned images of maps

How about one of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831
It's window's CE so you should be able to copy maps from MM to it.

I have a NavMan GPS which I have unlocked with the idea of putting MM on there. It shows up as a Windows CE PDA.

Archos do some very pretty windows tablets (small ones)

The MM tablet looks like it is for flying.
Bit worried about the map scale 1:500,000 wont be too clear on a screen that size.

Does the Maplin one have the capacity to handle MM, for the money it looks great.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Paul said:
Does the Maplin one have the capacity to handle MM, for the money it looks great.

You have 21 days to try it and return it if it does not. I mean, it was the wrong product. ;)
They call it: The Maplin Rental Scheme. I use it often. ;)

I can get to Morocco and back in 21 days ;)

sorry - don't trust Chinese no-name stuff.

Best you take some paper maps with you if you venture into the desert with something like that ;)

Crispin said:
sorry - don't trust Chinese no-name stuff.

Best you take some paper maps with you if you venture into the desert with something like that ;)

It did make me smile, looks a bit like a wish list rammed into one box :D

With the MM options just beware they've updated their licensing scheme so it's much harder to use 'borrowed' maps or even use maps you bought on multiple devices. The iphone version got poor reviews and I think one of the issues was having to buy the maps all over again :o

The other thing to consider is how you are going to mount whichever device you buy in your car. I run MM on an old Acer N35 PDA which has built-in GPS. It is small enough to mount on your windscreen and just about large enough to read! A bigger screen would be nice, but mounting/securing the device is always a problem unless you make a custom mount.

Which ever you decide to go for this firm have probably got a mount for it. They are not cheap but they are really good. I have one for my trip meter.

http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

290110009.jpg

Steve

Steve.

like the Mud pod for the switches - had one of those mounted on my 80 under the dash, fitted in like it was factory - had the wider one and had 6 switches and 3 marine type power sockets.

For my maps (if I ever get around to fitting it permanently in the car, I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 with a vehicle docking station. I also have the wireless display option (a seven inch touchscreen which connects to the Toughbook with wifi) which I can fit on a windscreen mount using one of the standard 4 slot universal mounts (I have stuck the socket part on the back of teh screen). Gives me full control of the PC - it can be taken outside the vehicle up to about 80 metres away and is a daylight readable display.

The docking station fits on a Gamber Johnson mount (a bit like the Ram Mounts) although I am probably going to fix wide velcro on the back of the docking station and also on the back of one of the rear seats so that I can just drop the back of the seat down, velcro the docking station to it and I have a nice stable mounting platform.

The Toughbook then connects to a TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver mounted on a windscreen mount. Te Toughbook does have inbuilt GPS but in the back of the car it isn't going to see anything and it doesn't have an external antenna socket.

MM works very well on this setup. Plus I can always use the PC for other things like email with a Mobile Broadband dongle or even to run iTunes.

Back