Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco Video

grahamnaismith

Have managed to trim it down to less than 10 mins for YouTube! Got stuck in the sand a lot and wished my rear-diff was working!

Graham Naismith
www.drive-to-oz.com

[youtube:2opf5u9x]JRgu-Zfba0I[/youtube:2opf5u9x]

There wasn't much water when I was there last August :lol: , excellent presentation Graham :cool:

Cossack said:
There wasn't much water when I was there last August :lol: , excellent presentation Graham :cool:
and I'm sure I recognised that camel on the left, you know, the pretty one :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It was very wet too when I was down there in late Jan.
As an aside, my clients were adamant that Morocco is benefitting from climate change as their rainfall has been much higher in the past few years than ever before. They're excited about becoming major agricultural producers in the coming years :mrgreen:

Cossack said:
and I'm sure I recognised that camel on the left, you know, the pretty one
...the one with the waggely tail???

Ah! so you thought she was pretty too Gav? :lol:

4 minutes 2 seconds into the video

jesterbg.gif

May I suggest one of these next time you go :lol:

Thanks for sharing the vid with us Graham.... nice one.

Bat21 said:
4 minutes 2 seconds into the video

jesterbg.gif

May I suggest one of these next time you go :lol:

Thanks for sharing the vid with us Graham.... nice one.

Yes you may! There were many things I learnt about recovery out there and driving on peaky dunes (as opposed to normal dunes where the peaks are considerably more spread out) and that was one of them! You are right. Some local tribesmen had something very similar and helped us out at one point but in essence, and these may sound very basic and stupid, but heres my sand-dune recovery tips now I've been stuck (and not withstanding your tyre pressures at 12-15 psi)

1. Use gravity so try and always be in a position where gravity can be used for recovery
2. Up and down is best over the peaks - straight line up and down the dune until u get into the main bit of the desert where it gets less peaky - driving the crests is too tricky and v dangerous
3. Momentum is everything
4. Burying a spare wheel in sand, even over a crest of a dune, is almost impossible
5. Theres a hard side and a soft side to every dune! The wind makes them! Hard side is better!
6. Two vehicles is always always best (as Mr I Rubie advised!) and, if you dont have anything else on this list, thats the one to go for!
7. Waffle boards actually work v well - I want roll out long sand ladders though (not the metal camel trophy style ones) - anybody any idea where I can get
them!
8. Digging is the main thing - and use that GT36 SWAN NECK SHOVEL as linked on ebay - you can moved sand-dunes with one of them and dont be afraid to!!
9. Use everything you can all at once - dont increment your measures!
10. Having your diff-lock working helps considerably!

And I did a load of desert driving in Australia but this was different!

grahamnaismith said:
7. Waffle boards actually work v well - I want roll out long sand ladders though (not the metal camel trophy style ones) - anybody any idea where I can get them!
I have seen the roll out ones in action...... they were a complete pile of pooh in the soft sand.

Go for the ManTec aluminum ones as the fiberglass waffle boards are way too heavy to be humping around in the heat.

Back