Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MOT question re: towbar electrics?

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
It's MOT time again for the cruiser and I'm aware that my towbar electrics might come under scrutiny this year.

To give you some background - the towbar was fitted purely as protection for my underslung LPG tank, which has been fitted in place of the OEM fuel tank - I don't really intend to tow anything. The electrics for the towbar were NEVER wired up but the 7-pin socket was all present and correct with wires going from the socket into the rear of the truck but not connected to any wiring inside. It's has been like this since it was fitted around 5-6 years ago and never been an issue at MOT.

However the socket was damaged whilst parked at a car park :)icon-evil:) and has pretty much disintegrated with bare wires left hanging out etc. I assume this will attract the attention of the MOT tester.

From here; http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,
13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Towbars

Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

So my question is....... what options do I have under the circumstances? As I see it;

1. Buy a new socket and rewire but not connect to truck's electrics as previously. [Back to how things were - so should be fine at MOT?]
2. Remove damaged socket and wires leaving simply the tow bar and ball. [Would be easiest and quickest - though not sure MOT wise?]
3. Remove damaged socket/wires and tow ball, leaving just the tow "bar". [Would be ideal as I always knock my shins on the bloody tow ball but again not sure MOT wise?]

Time has crept up on me this year, so need to get this sorted in the next day or so......Thanks.

Last edited:
Not suure about 1 and 2 but can't see an issue with 3. If there's no tow ball you can't tow anything and the tow bar is just a piece of metal bolted to the chassis. JMO

I would bolt a new socket on to hide the wires and remove the tow ball , why test it if you can't tow anyway .

Thanks Guys.

My only doubt about #3 was due to....

Towbars
Inappropriate repair or
modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Last edited:
If you are considering removal of the tow ball why not remove the whole tow bar.

BTW I kept bashing my shin on my tow ball so I cut a 45mm hole in the bottom of a tennis ball put a bit of grease inside (to aid the fitting/removal of ball) and that softens the blow.

The tow bar is to protect my LPG tank as being cylindrical 80ltr unit it hangs down quite a bit. Always nice to know that if I'm rear ended there is some protection.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What year is your truck tow bar type approval is after 1998 i think so maybe you could put what you like on there ?

with the LPG cylinder hanging, tow bar without tow ball & electrical socket can be 'renamed' rear safety bar !. remove both 1. tow ball 2. electrical socket, am sure that way your truck will clear the MOT, keep us posted :) All the best mate,

I'm an MOT tester.

Remove the socket and 'hide' or remove the wiring.

As it is it will fail the test as the socket is damaged and the wiring is exposed etc.

Section 1.9 of the MOT manual :)

You can remove the tow ball, it makes no difference on the test, it just has to be secure and attached properly if it is present.

Just for clarity, only the 13 pin sockets are testable for functionality at the moment, 7 pin sockets are just a visual inspection.

If it isn't there, you can't test it applies in this case !

Last edited:
Well it passed the MOT. :icon-cool:

I tried to remove the tow bar socket but all the bolts holding it to the backplate were bent and misshapen - so I would have had to cut the socket and backplate off.

In the end I simply discussed the situation with the MOT guy and he removed the tow ball and backplate for me. Just as well, as we initially tried with normal sockets, spanners and breaker bars with no luck. In the end it needed a big ass impact driver to get the tow ball's bolts off.

Otherwise all good, he did put the rear inner sills as advisories due to some corrosion but rust treatment is something I hope to address this year anyway.

All in all, the guy was very impressed with the overall condition of the truck......and we're all good for another year.:thumbup:

Back