Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 1996 Landcruiser Prado

Yes understand it’s just an oil pipe, thanks. I did find Rough trax site a bit confusing to find the right thing probably better to give them a call I guess.

Sometimes when people fit an air to trans cooler they fit it before the oem cooler in the base of the radiator.

It has been done like this in case the atf is cooled too much and when it returns back to the oem cooler it is (could be) warmed slightly to return to the auto box. which will ultimately save the engine coolant getting warm from the heat of the auto trans fluid. 1kzt e being hammered down the road generates quite some warmth. like mine does daily lol .

I have a LWB in the same colour. TBH the SWB would have fitted us better - there's only 3 of us so an 8-seater is a bit overkill, and it would go a bit faster. No SWBs in Australia for the 90 series though apart from a couple of imported Japanese ones.

I love the red though - we previously had white cars only.

Interesting to see your engine bay is similar to mine and a bit duller than the external paintwork.

90 series auto rads are fairly common here in Australia. I have an external cooler too which is plumbed in how Toyota suggest for other A343Fs (which tranny cooler line is in/out - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]). Weird how this seems to be trans out -> radiator -> cooler -> trans sump. But I'll see how it goes.

Is there anyone making an uprated aluminium radiator suitable for a 96 3 litre Colorado with auto transmission?

Seems to be plenty of offerings especially if you search for 5VZ. This used the same radiator as the 1KZ and is very common in the petrol dominated USA. Even here 5VZ based 90s outnumber 1KZ based 90s by 5 to 1 or more.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Australia is a free country so if Brexit has any effect at all on us buying their goods in the UK it should be a positive one but alas there's a bit of a bug going around so stocks of slow selling goods are running low .

An upgrade radiator is rather pointless when the standard one is perfectly adequate and longevity should be the number one concern .

Noting Roughtrax sell Nissen radiators for the 80 and trusting their quality control i found this very easily https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/nissens/7284287

Australia is a free country so if Brexit has any effect at all on us buying their goods in the UK it should be a positive one but alas there's a bit of a bug going around so stocks of slow selling goods are running low .

An upgrade radiator is rather pointless when the standard one is perfectly adequate and longevity should be the number one concern .

Noting Roughtrax sell Nissen radiators for the 80 and trusting their quality control i found this very easily https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/nissens/7284287
Fair point Shayne, it’s just that over the years I have bought many parts for older Land Rovers from Australia and imported two with no problems. I understand the Ozzies make good stuff for Land Cruisers so thought is would be a good place to look for a better radiator, but take your point about standard ones.

Last edited:
Back