Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My HDJ80 Overland Build

I bought an Ostrich wing awning. Its a pretty hefty thing and a lot of the weight hangs off one corner once pulled out. They supply these somewhat weedy brackets to hold the awning on the rack. I couldnt use these anyway as my roof tent is over the slots that the mounts bolt to so decided to (over) engineer some new mounts which also sit it a bit higher up (to clear the tailgate) and a bit of left and right adjustability 46920501_497443217417007_5130562275882565632_n.jpg

I bought an Ostrich wing awning. Its a pretty hefty thing and a lot of the weight hangs off one corner once pulled out. They supply these somewhat weedy brackets to hold the awning on the rack. I couldnt use these anyway as my roof tent is over the slots that the mounts bolt to so decided to (over) engineer some new mounts which also sit it a bit higher up (to clear the tailgate) and a bit of left and right adjustabilityView attachment 152187

similar to what i had to do when i bought my ostrich.They are a great awning.

Like what you're doing here Michael especially the built in units on the side. What sort of weight are you adding with all of these units? Any idea?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As it stands (half tank fuel, half water) she is 2582 kgs (I have corner weights). Probably 2800 fully laden.

I think kerb weight is 2300 but didnt measure when I started. Probably find most peoples stock ones are around 2500. Many in the states running 3000kgs. You save about 200kgs by taking out all the seats and rear trim etc..

Only added about 100kgs max above window height and most weight is between axles and low down.

If you're inside (with rear door closed) then you are standing on the slide out 'floor'. Is that an issue?

My slightly over engineered kitchen unit! Its "mobile" so it can go in many positions. One as in pictures, One rotated 90 degrees with draws coming out the tailgate and one with draws facing forward for when we are sitting inside the truck.
quite novel

If you're inside (with rear door closed) then you are standing on the slide out 'floor'. Is that an issue?

Not at all. They are heavy duty draw slides. They can take 200kgs at full extension, so when closed no issues at all.

The slide also acts as a table storage holder (table slides underneath for storage)

very well thought out and very well executed.
well done.
have a great trip and enjoy the 80!

Michael, looks great. Lov to come see it at some stage. Can you send me some more pics via email [email protected] as hard to see/zoom in on them
Best of luck on trip. In Spain right now just coming back from Morocco trip

Just seen your awesome build!! Very cool, and very cleverly done :)

Cheers
Roy

Back