Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My head hurts already

Maximus

I'll cut to the chase. I have a budget of 8k to buy my next set of wheels (which I hope will be a Land Cruiser).

I do not want fly-by-wire or anything that potentially needs a laptop to fix it. Been there done that.

Will only get used as a daily run around, camping in France and once a year to Morocco.

If you could narrow the field for me, you will make an old man very happy.

What are your specific concerns re electronics, fbw etc?

What marque gave u issues?

Have a read through this, almost the same question with the same budget!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=9528

Generally speaking there's only one question you need to ask and that is how much room do i need/load do i need to carry? That more than anything else will dictate which series you need.

As for electrical failure leaving you stranded, highly unlikely in a LandCruiser. SmokyJoe just drowned his in a river and it still runs with no signs of any water in the ECU's. He does have an irritating immobiliser gremlin but point is, it didn't leave him stranded even after it had been full of water.

You can buy one the older one like the 80, which is fricking awesome :thumbup: but accept that it is the corresponding number of years older now and you may find yourself with age related mechanical gremlins that we are now just beginning to see.

As has been said umpteen times, go for some test drives, buy the one you like and don't worry about it.

I want something that needs no more than a volt meter to find an electrical fault.

I bought and prepped an L200 double cab (02) reg which is fly by wire. It kept going into limp mode going up steep hills (which would be a tad inconvenient in the Atlas Mountains). I thought it might be the turbo/injectors/fuel pump bla bla bla and eventually admitted defeat and took it to the Mitsubishi Main Stealers who plugged it into their computer, and told me there is nothing wrong with it. Reallllllly.....I went home and stuck it on ebay.

The L200 belonged to an accountant so had never been offroad or in water.

I do like the look and size of the Colorado. And to be honest you don't need anything too tricked up in Morocco.

Colorado is a good choice (thats what i have :thumbup: ) but if your budget can stretch to it look at the 120 series too.

How much do you know about your engine choices?

Graham has a D4D 120 series, which is probably the most 'electricked' that Toyota make. His has north of 250,00 miles by now i think, it has lived in the UK, lived in the freezing cold of scandinavia and has also done Morocco etc and he's never had an 'electrical' fault which immobilised him?

If you speak to Ecky Thump, he used to work for the Highways Agency and they had the same vehicles which did anything from 250000 to 400000 miles before they sold them, again, no problems.

Not saying that they are better or worse than the older, but this sort of reliability is the rule not the exception, so don't let bad experiences with another marque influence you decision with a Land Cruiser.

Tommo&Claire said:
Colorado is a good choice (thats what i have :thumbup: ) but if your budget can stretch to it look at the 120 series too.

How much do you know about your engine choices?
There are some very nice Colorado's.

For that sort of buget, you could probably get the Last of the Colorado's which had the 120 series D4-d engines.
Essentially, the 120 series continued on from the 90 seriers (Colorado's)

Look on here and see some very nice Colorado's in daily use.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tommo&Claire said:
Speak of the devil.... here's Graham now!
Ha, ha, just 'cos I am in China, don't mean I don't log on every day.
Actually, down in Hainan at the moment, China's most southeren province.
More akin to Hawaii than Hawaii :thumbup:

Graham

I don't expect any more than 32 'ish from my D4-d
Well, I can't any way.
Thats normally running light with 2 persons.
Running on cruise at around 63 mph 'ish

I have heard mention that cruise control may not be the most fuel efficient if there is any sort of hilly terrain.

I have high miles, so may be that why I don't get the 35 mpg

Graham

Many thanks Graham. I can live with between 25-30.

But I think with the cost of fuel these days 20 would be a non starter.

No probs,
The D4-d can easy do 25 - 30 mpg.
This from the 120 series sales blurb.
Notice, the auto is more economical than the manual.

scan0003.jpg

Graham

Just out of interest, what made you settle on the D4D?

Maximus said:
I do not want fly-by-wire or anything that potentially needs a laptop to fix it. Been there done that.

Isn't the D4D more sensors and electronics that you did not want ?

I am guessing 30mpg swayed the decision :twisted:

Yes it has. But if what people are saying on here, and other forums/websites are correct....TLCs don't tend to suffer from electronic managment problems.

Would love to hear from anyone on here who has???????

30 mpg, makes me sick :sick: :sick: :sick: I got that once in mine doing 55mph and no more than 2000rpm for a full tank, drove me mad, I only get 23mpg !!!

Nick.

Back