Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mystery dashboard light

tempur

Dear Land Cruiser fans, my 1997 J95 has a green LED light built in the space between the headlight beam control level switch and the instrument panel light control switch (according to my manual, this would be used for the door locking switch in cars without power windows). It looks like the LED is dealer installed. I've never paid too much attention, thinking it might be an indicator light for the rear differential lock (which I've never used) but in recent weeks it has started to go on and off intermittently without any apparent reason. The car was first registered in Germany.

Can anyone tell me what it's for?

Tempur

Is yours a petrol or diesel? Does sound like a after market add on - do you have any non-standard auxiliaries?

i.e. do you have an LPG installation, an auxiliary fuel tank or similar?

I have the same light on close inspection there is a back to front L sitting at 45 degrees ending with a ball/dot/circle at the top line molded in the glass . No idea what its for and i have only seen mine light up once , as Tempur says it is mentioned in the manual like so -

21. Power door lock switch (without power windows)

I have no idea what it indicates and i have just checked a theory that it might light up when doors are locked while the windows are open but no .

Edited the L has circle/dot/ball at the top :think: resembles a seat tilted forward perhaps .

Last edited:
If it's an after-market addition could it be a trailer indicator warning light; do you have a towbar? You're supposed to have a visual or audible alert that the indicators on your trailer are working.

Green light 002.JPG

Cheers MODVRS i have found them for sale so i guess i have an aftermarket addition that doesn't work . Check your tow socket Tempur its probably rusty inside .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like an alarm light installed in a blank to me. But that wouldn't explain why both have it. It is the place for the locking switch if it has one hence what appears in the manual.

If yours is an import, could it be a fog light indicator? That may explain the flickering, if the fog lights are on but have a dodgy contact. Japanese imports needed an after market fog light fitted for them to be legal on UK roads.

I suspect that the warning light is indeed related to the towbar. The 'L' sign on Shayne's light could well mean just that. Problem solved! Many thanks to all for the feedback.

If it's an after-market addition could it be a trailer indicator warning light; do you have a towbar? You're supposed to have a visual or audible alert that the indicators on your trailer are working.

Just introduced several faults to my trailer board plugged it in and still nothing , maybe the bulbs gone in my green light ?

While we are on the subject of mystery lights where is my fog light supposed to be ? having swapped the upper lights for aftermarket twice i think i will now have to add a separate fog as my newest set are , direction indicator , reverse and brake/stop .

I fitted surface mount LED trailer fog lights to my tailgate seeing as I wiped off the after market one below the bumper, …twice. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454076138.988712.jpg

Just wondering which of the existing lights is supposed to be the fog ?

4 m.o.t's behind me and its never been mentioned but i don't recall the switch itself ever lighting up nor any exterior light when it was pressed .

My fogs are OEM but I have the Ambulance doors, not a tailgate.

They're surface mounted one each side (even though the passenger side fog is hiding behind the spare wheel) ...

image2.jpg

yellow circle added for clarity :lol:

Shayne, the drivers side should have the fog light in the bottom lens of the upper lamps. A fog light cant double as a brake light according to the tester manual. Perhaps an aftermarket one needed

Thanks Bob that should save time looking for the wiring and i will need another light :icon-rolleyes: discreet fogs aren't going to be easy to find i guess :lol:

Back