Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New 120 owner with some lighting questions.

mr_magicfingers

Hi all, my Colorado finally rusted out so I'm the owner of a 2005 LC4 now. Looking to update the interior and exterior lights. Does anyone have recommendations for interior led light bulbs? I've looked on Ebay and there's loads so just wondered if anyone had either a particular type or a seller elsewhere that does good ones. The ones I've seen mentioned on forums seem to either be in Oz or the US.

I'd like to replace the rear/brake/reverse lights with brighter bulbs too if anyone has suggestions for those.

Headlight bulbs. H4 LED's seems to vary significantly in cost, again I'd rather buy on recommendation than take a punt on £80 bulbs.

Finally, I had a light bar on the collie, which was brilliant (badum tish) as we live out on the country and lighting up the lanes at night makes driving much easier. Does anyone know of some spotlight mounts for the 120 series as the ones off the collie don't fit.

Thanks.

I tried the H4 LED, I was blinding everyone and I took them off, even at the lowest setting.
Better get some offroad lights with a licence plate mount and wiring kit, about 120 euro in total, they are not so bad, you don't need 500 euro lights if you don't use them every day.

For the interior licence plate you need w5w LED bulbs, its like 10 euro a bag full of them, you can find them on Amazon.

Thanks for the information. Interesting about the H4 LED headlights, good to know given how expensive they are. I need to make up some suitable mounting brackets for the light bar as there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to fit those.

I've done the numberplate and courtesy lights as you've suggested, with a bag of led bulbs from amazon along with the reversing lights which I found much brighter led bulbs for and which makes reversing much easier in the dark.

The other issue with the H4 LED lights is the rubber gromet on the back of the headlight is very small, most LED have a huge cooler in the back that will not fit in that gromet, so you will have to adapt something ( not always possible). I had to cut mine, and when I reverted back to normal lights, had 2 order 2 new ones, they could only find them in Saudi Arabia, took 3 weeks for delivery..

Regarding the off road lights :
120 has big problem, in front there is very little space to mount them in front of the radiator. and the bumber mostly it is very flimsy plastic.
I used one of those licence plate supports,
Nilightty.jpg
If you use 4 screws to fix it, it will be very stable and depending what lights you get, you will have minimum impact on the air flow that goes to the radiator. I would suggest a small light bar, is not so tall like some normal round lights.. When I sold my prado it was still there, with no issues after some pretty long trips and many off road km..

That's very useful thanks, I'd not seen those sorts of mounts before, looks like it's just what I need. The light bar is fairly small only 60cm but throws out more than enough light for our use.

leeloo, where did you get yours ?.
I have been looking at those on EBay, and every one is from China.
Chinese delivery times are hugely innacurate and take forever, typically 1 - 2 months, and their tracking in general cannot be relied on. I am currently awaiting a small light parcel that no tracking has been shown since purchase date, 29th January, and since that date a message has appeared on the purchase history stating delivery times from China have been delayed.
I think they take the wee wee. ha-so! Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Amazon, about 4 days delivery

I thinkI found a seller from Poland, but it was on Amazon.de
Here is one from Amazon UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MicTuning-...e+off+road+light+holder&qid=1582903813&sr=8-1
The off road lights I got from this seller.some cheap crap at 80 euro... they were ok. never used them, I wanted them there just in case. Just tested in a wild camp site. They really powerfull and IP67 rated..
Delivery normal.

Thanks leeloo, good call, I will order one in due course.
Maybe of help to mr_magicfingers and others interested.
They look a bit light to put my 6" angel eyes on, but I have been considering crees anyway either 2 singles or 1 short bar, both with spot and flood variations.

Back