Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Bronco

Shayne

Guru

1594727283098.png

1594728311053.png

Last edited:
Are you Tempted Shayne?....Im not convinced about most things that come out of the U.S...Build quality has always been a talking point

At a glance Higgy i am .

its an evolution of the Ranger rather than all new which should allow for a reasonable amount of research but my initial thought was yay somebody somewhere is has built a 4x4 which isn't intended to be fashion statement or something to chat about over cucumber sandwiches on the polo field .

Alas no plans as yet for a right hand drive version and the engine choice is a bit of a worry .

First off-road 4x4 I had was a Bronco 2 (v6 petrol) which was hopeless off road and certainly not helped by my then inexperienced hands. I hope that they have improved the gearing allowing some low down torque. Only experience with a Ranger was being at Lincomb (before the club events) at a dealer day - and pulling one out of the mud with my then very unsorted 40.
May be the Ranger and the Bronco have been radically improved... as neither liked mud

Regards,

Rodger

Its based on a entirely new chassis that Ford will use on future Rangers, its also likely to get a Diesel in the future from what I've seen. Fords build quality has improved hugely over recent years in europe, not so sure about the US

Lot of good features on it put above the Jeep for the US market, ultra low crawler gearing will be nice for those that want it. Add in all the proper off road kit available when you buy it new and it will sell well in the states. Jeep sell 175k wranglers a year so theres a good market for it.

With Toyota due to announce the 300 series this summer and the rumoured basic off road focussed Landcruiser for the states, it will be interesting to see if they try to compete with Jeep and Ford or just do their own thing again.

If it has has many electrical problems as a new Ranger it better stay over the pond

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It replaces the now discontinued modern FJ i suppose

Let's keep in mind that overland in the US means very different things than what we think of overland.

Much of what the 'mercians call overlanding is considered lanes and mudplugging in here. Except they have rocks, no mud.

Toyota could come up with something like a cross between The Land Cruiser and Hi Lux Dakar entry Vehicles.... That id like to see..
1594791519002.png

It brakes the inside wheel to make the truck turn tighter, bit like a hoon handle only automatic (less fun)

Last edited:
I like what I have seen tbh but then I am into truck racing so am looking at it from that angle. Don't think I would bother with it if I was into crawling or overlanding tbh

Most diggers and tractors have a bolt holding left and right brake pedals together which can be unbolted if you need turn assist .
Its a pivoted catch on my Zetor !

Apparently its illegal to drive on the road with independent left & right brakes ;).

Bob.

Otherwise known as Fiddle brakes in the car trialling world.

I've been struggling to fault this Bronco but just learned the manual gearbox is only an option with the smallest engine which seems like a confession of weakness .

Can't see it ever being sold here anyways

It was built to beat the Jeep Wrangler and i'd bet on it winning , the Jeep is sold here , the defender is history so what competition does it face on this side of the pond - Suzuki ?

Most diggers and tractors have a bolt holding left and right brake pedals together which can be unbolted if you need turn assist .

Mine does. I just didn't realise it was called "turn assist" :)

Back