Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New member in Scotland

glen2480

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Everyone,

My name is Glen, I'm from Australia and currently living in Scotland on a long term project.

We recently went back to Australia to visit family, first time back since Covid appeared. We did some exploring in my old 4wd with camper trailer whilst there, and now we've returned to Scotland our 3yr old daughter hasn't stopped talking about it.

Which leads me to here, we've recently bought a 2006 LC5 3.0TD to do some exploring in Scotland. Its on BFG A/T's and has an ARB roof rack, everything else is stock.

The tires alone make it capable enough to get us started. No plans to do any crazy mods. What we do intend to do:
- 270deg awning
- A bit of 12V work for task lighting etc. I'll be future proofing the wiring to make it easy to add a Redarc BCDC (or similar that's available in the UK) and battery.
- Drawers and fridge into the back
- MAYBE some new suspension with a 2" lift all round, more to handle the added weight than anything else.

Other then that, just the usual tinkering and maintenance.

I got my first 4x4 when i was 19, mainly to get to the better fishing spots. Since then, have always owned a 4x4. Done plenty of off-roading and camping in Australian national parks, but not interested in the really tough stuff. Replacing bits every weekend gets expensive.

Anyway, look forward to being part of the forum and exploring Scotland. If anyone has any suggestions for some family friendly 4x4 and wild camping, would love to hear from you!

Glen

Hi Glen,
Make sure the underside is in good shape rust wise, if not, get on it asap.
The Scottish winters and salt on the roads will eat the metal away in no time.
I have a 120 that originated in Scotland, so have some idea of it.

Happy camping mate.

Welcome, also in Scotland.... Redarc kit is available in the UK - little pricey but great stuff. As long as ATRC etc works and the tin rot is not bad you'll be good to go. Unfortunately not many places to go off tar here, but plenty of desolate roads to discover.

Edit - redarc vendor Redarc BCDC1250D - SplitCharge.co.uk - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Last edited:
Hi Glen
I'm new to the forum too, also based in Scotland, up on the North coast.

Back