Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New owner '99 Amazon VX

isdyl

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all! After years of series land rover and shogun ownership I've finally bought a 1999 Landcruiser Amazon diesel VX with 185K miles on the clock. A few niggles to sort out but generally clean. Looking forward to reading all the posts on this forum - apologies in advance for any dumb questions I ask! Dylan

Best motor that I have ever owned or used. The compliments that I receive from owning an Amazon are stock piling. Put it this way, if I had a motorbike, then I would not be able to put my helmet on!
One of the best compliments came from an ex-military mate who did Private Military Company work out in Iraq. He said, "We ran armour plated 100 Series Landcruisers, I absolutely love 'em"....

At the moment mine is having a full body renovation clean up and re-paint protective coating, I am going to town on it. There are a lot of pockets underneath these trucks where the crud & grime settles and can build up. But, I think Toyota thought about this and designed them in such a way that there is nothing that you cannot do to protect these vehicles relatively simply, it is just a matter of time, having the facility and will power to get under there and fettle it.

The Adaptive Suspension System is just a haven for crudd. Mine was not working so it has all been removed and chucked in the scrap, what a weight saving and access to the underside.
Removing the diesel tank is well worth the effort for cleaning up and new paint. That is one big fuel tank and a lot of dry rubbish gathers on it. The fuel lines were not in the best condition, so all replaced with clear plastic fuel pipe up to the filter hand primer. Clear fuel pipe is so that you can see the fuel and any air pockets, that's a 'Top-Tip'.
Drop the spare wheel and get yer head up in and around there, another haven for crudd.
If you remove the plastic trim step plates in the door bottoms, the holes give you access to fill the sills with protective anti rust stuff, just do any patching, welding repairs to the sills first.
The front inner wings have like a big rubber flat come blanket between the body and chassis. Removes very easily and gives access to all the front chassis, engine, suspension, brake pipes, easy. Only thing is Toyota want £2.50 per button clip that holds these covers on and there is 12 per side.

Overall, apart from driving one being a good experience, they are a pleasure to work on.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_122106_415.jpg
    IMG_20220120_122106_415.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220120_122120_460.jpg
    IMG_20220120_122120_460.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220125_154344_602.jpg
    IMG_20220125_154344_602.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220125_154353_679.jpg
    IMG_20220125_154353_679.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 7
You can buy almost all types of car trim clips on AliExpress etc. For more popular cars you can get trim clip sets that contain the popular ones for that car.

Back