Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to Toyota

Gary820

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi just signed up after the site being recommended to me.
I'm Gary, recently moved over to a 80 after owning a couple of highly molded troopers. Always wanted one and finances eventually allowed it.

Bought myself a 97 R reg 4.5 amazon few months back now with 72k miles on it. Few plans to mod it but in no rush (took 6months to find the right one) so far I've upgraded the stereo with a double din dab, fitted better speakers and run them from a couple of amps. Removed the 3rd row of seats too.
Will be looking into giving it a lift, fitting some bigger rubber, bolt my winch behind the stock bumper (did the same with my last trooper) and prob make some bash plates and sliders. Got my storage unit from the troop to go in the boot along with compressor and various bits.

Look forward to hopefully contributing to the site.

Welcome Gary

There isnt manyaround with that kind of milage. Hope you enjoy her.

Karl

Thanks for the welcome
I was a little dubious about the mileage at first with it being so low but the service book and invoices all backed it up. I think being petrol helped and no lpg.
Is there a minimum amount of posts or anything till I can post a pic?

I think there is a min amount but unsure how many.

Milage prob is right with it being a petrol without lpg. They are a very good engine anyway though,

Karl

Hi Gary,
How much was it?
Where did you buy it from?

Sounds like a little used vehicle.

Gra.

Hi Gary,
How much was it?
Where did you buy it from?

Sounds like a little used vehicle.

Gra.

I paid £4400 for it which to me seemed a good price compared to some of the ones I went to look at.
Found it in Scotland, had it advertised for more but haggled a bit on price, got a swivel seal weeping a bit and ac didn't work. I'll do a full set if seals on the axle and I re filled the ac and works fine with no leaks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A couple of pics of my 80, I admit it's a shiny and did spend most of last sunday with the polish out. Took me 6 months of looking at "immaculate" ones to find this one, UK spec '97 4.5 Amazon. Has the odd little dent and couple of scratches but nothing serious (not like it's brand new) I had a must have list and it ticked most boxes.
Came with the Toyota wind deflectors already fitted and I was a bit unsure but they've grown on me. From what i've found out the roof bars are standard fitment?

20130106_144952-1.jpg

20130106_145729-1.jpg

During a trip out over the north yorks moors on new years day..
102_zps5ccc8b8c.jpg

Previous motors were modded Troopers..

019-1.jpg

This one was lifted on 33's, rose jointed suspension, front locker, custom armour/sliders, discreet winch etc etc

This was my original one (parts from this went onto the red one), was quite abused and came to an end after snapping the chassis in the middle!!!
Had it features in Total off road mag few years back
M54_3245.jpg

Hi Gary ...

them troopers seem strangely familiar :icon-cool: ..

nice lookin 80 you've got there too :icon-cool:

Wow Garry my eyes,

So shiny,

Looking good.

Gra.

I had a 2.6 Citation Trooper many moons ago - towed our Landies and Rangies to and from Off road days - struggled a bit with the RR so swapped it for a 3.9 Vogue SE, jolly thirsty if I remember!
Steve

Welcome to the club Gary. :thumbup:

I remember seeing your trooper in TOR, nice build. :icon-biggrin:

Whats the plan for the 80 then?

Surely your not going to modify it and take it off road when it looks that good? :?

I want to get some wind deflectors for mine, I'm sick of having the windows open very slightly when its raining to stop everything steaming up, and having rain dripping on me. :doh:

I think wind deflectors should stop that. :think:

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome.
Plans for the 80 involve the 35's sat in the garage and a lift to get them in.
Will custom make any armour and sliders, winch will go behind stock bumper. Got the storage box I made for the trooper to go in the boot and will mount the spare wheel in the boot rather then on a carrier.

Already fitted a double din dab stereo and upgraded the speakers.

It will get used off road but I'm not into throwing them around anymore (blue troop didn't have a straight panel on it from abuse doing trails)

I wasn't supposed to get another trooper after the blue one plans were to get a 80, killing the blue troop changed plans and red one came up cheap as a non runner.

I wanted a low miler that had been looked after, I plan on keeping it for a while. I decided on petrol as were generally lower miles and lower price. I don't do big miles so mpg not a major issue it's a second vehicle.
Quite enjoy driving it, smooth, comfortable and powerful, unlike the 3.0d troop it replaced no worries about a ticking bomb for an engine!!

Back