Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to WA, new to Australia..

davidv

Hi all,

My name is David and have just emigrated to WA from the Netherlands with my family (wife and two young kids). We are interested in getting it right the first time and buying a Land Cruiser. I have always been a Toyota driver (Hilux) when living in Africa. This will be my first Land Cruiser purchase.

Today I went to test drive a 2008 in Midland, Perth. The vehicle has ~160,000km and is going for ~AUD 58,000. I must say the drive went fine. I am by no means an expert but from my own experience, and input from various friends with knowledge, I can feel semi-confident.

However, it being a rather large financial commitment, and me being new to Perth I thought it would be sensible to ask this forum for some further advice.

Things I checked:
1. Service history (car is fully serviced up until 100,000 after which a gap until 150,000, next service done again at 160,000)
2. Due to the vehicle being large with alot of weight they tend to chew through shocks - during the test drive I kept an ear open for any knocks on a test drive. Nothing heard.
3. CV Joint check - did a full lock turn (left and right) and listened for knocks. Nothing heard
4. Ran through all the gears - they feel fine
5. The vehicle has not been in any accidents

Please help with anything else I should check?

I did also ask the sales consultant to chase after why the services were missed (he reckons the car was owned by a mechanic who did services himself). They also offer a 1 month warranty with option to buy between 1 and 7 years.

Let me know if more info is needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

David

Hey David,

The only thing that would concern me is that it's a white Land Cruiser being sold in WA, and ex NT.

Why is that a concern? My worry is that it's an ex mines vehicle, so I'd be carefully looking for any signs of corrosion or fresh paint. Check around wheelarches, chassis and drain holes.

It does look well set up however.

After market warranties are often very restrictive, so I'd be wary of those options.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply!

I had a walk around the car and didn't notice any fresh paint, or corrosion. Now that I know to look more closely I will do so tomorrow. We're going for another drive.

In terms of the warranty, I did ask to see T&C's as I am also not convinced it would be worth the money.

The gap in service history doesn't worry you?

Regards,
David

Btw, I am going to look at this vehicle on Saturday. Its a private sale and the vehicle has 66,000km on the clock.

I know its the risk of bracket creep, but a brand new VDJ76 is listed as $80k RRP for a GXL (with the dealer set as one in WA) or $75k for a Workmate. Don't be afraid to hold off - a mate has just sorted out a 200 series from somewhere 4hrs away as they were the next ones to get new stock, but it'll not be here for 6 weeks...

There's not $20k of stuff on any of those really - a lot is COVID tax at the moment, so beware of that.

With the history? Yes, not ideal, but if the rest of it presents well then it's not too bad.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back