Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie to forum

Thanks for all the response, and no worries if you're opposed. I've always said anyone can restore one but it takes real balls to cut a Rolls up. It's been a blast to build and we're looking forward to getting back to it soon.
I'd like to post the Rolls build thread in the proper place as it continues.
Where on this forum should it go?

Thanks for all the response, and no worries if you're opposed. I've always said anyone can restore one but it takes real balls to cut a Rolls up. It's been a blast to build and we're looking forward to getting back to it soon.
I'd like to post the Rolls build thread in the proper place as it continues.
Where on this forum should it go?

Well, difficult question, as a Land Cruiser forum it doesn't really belong at all, but.....

Anything goes in the "Lounge" so I would suggest there...

Most of us are Brits, so hacking at one of our National Icons with cutters and welding gear goes against the grain somewhat. But what a project, resurrecting a capable 4x4 from what was obviously otherwise a chunk of scrap has to be commended.

Last edited:
Cool to be honest my first thought when you mentioned a 4x4 rolls royce was jeez that must have more horses than a Texas glue factory , but i was guessing it would be a rolls chassis and engine because that body must weigh almost as much as a cruise liner . 420bhp is a number to make anyone smile but i bet she needs it .

Well, difficult question, as a Land Cruiser forum it doesn't really belong at all, but.....

Anything goes in the "Lounge" so I would suggest there...

Most of us are Brits, so hacking at one of our National Icons with cutters and welding gear goes against the grain somewhat. But what a project, resurrecting a capable 4x4 from what was obviously otherwise chunk of scrap has to be commended.

Yes and "what was obviously otherwise a chunk of scrap" was the key to our decision to do what we're doing. It would have cost a fortune to restore the car to OEM specs. At least twice what it'd be worth. So instead it gets to live a second life getting far more admiration than it did in its first. From this point I'll post any new pic of the build in the lounge.

Hi Let's have pics from Tony

OK Tony, here we go with the FJ45LV's I picked this one up about 15 years ago when I was coming back from Northern California with an empty trailer. Saw it on eBay in Reno Nevada and I figured I'd stop and take a look. It was pretty typical of an old LC that looked great. Nice paint and redone interior but all the mechanical and the V8 conversion looked to be done by a paint and body shop. We had recently acquired a very rusted out 78 FJ40 and had enough parts laying around to get it mechanically as nice as it looked. Got it back to Steamboat, moved the engine forward where it belonged put the 4 speed, disc brake axle and such from the 40 in it. Clean up a bunch of the shoddy work, did a rear disc brake conversion built bumpers and sliders etc. and sold it for 20k. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of it.
Picture 057.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here's another FJ45LV. Its a 66. I forgot to say the white one is a 64 (if I remember correctly). I got this "camo" cruiser in Oregon mainly for the tail light lenses. At the time the lenses were made of unobtainium and decent used ones cost 1500 a pair. Now days guy's are reproducing the lenses with 3D printers. Oh well, I just sold it to a friend for cheap because he needs a project this winter.....w/o the lenses of course. All the exterior metal is pretty decent but the front floors were replaced by an amateur and the rear floor is Swiss cheese.

IMG_0565.jpgIMG_0567.jpg

OK Tony, these are the last 2. A 64 and a 67. I bought the 67 here in Steamboat in 1994 and actually drove it for a year and a half. Man that was one cold ass Winter. The story on the 67 is the original owners bought it new when they went to Africa for a couple years and then brought it back. I started a restoration on it several years ago (that's why it's half taken apart) and then I came across the 64 in Arizona and my plans changed. Anyway, I haven't done much with either in several years.....one of these day's though lol. I know I said it was rust free and of course it's covered in rust but you know how thick the steel is on these. Surface rust is nothing and there's not a single rust hole in it, even the floors. The 67 on the other hand does have holes in the floors, not as bad as the camo cruiser though.

IMG_0564.jpgIMG_0563.jpgIMG_0562.jpg

Hi thanks for the pics keep them coming love wot a good looking cruiser :thumbup:love it so cool from Tony.

The white one looks cracking. Is it lifted at all? Looks well balanced. I'm beginning to think my 80 needs a lift as its looking like it's been lowered especially up against all the other 80s at the AO show.

Yes it was lifted with 4" springs and had 32x12.5x15 tires. Oddly enough, the guy we sold it to brought it back later to have us drop it back down to stock height. Turns out his wife was having a hard time getting in and out of it.

Yes it was lifted with 4" springs and had 32x12.5x15 tires. Oddly enough, the guy we sold it to brought it back later to have us drop it back down to stock height. Turns out his wife was having a hard time getting in and out of it.

Yes, that does factor in my choice of height for my cruiser with a dear wife of 5 foot nothing!

FJ45 Pickup

Sometime in the mid 80’s this 1967 FJ45 Pickup had done an endo into the Garcia River while wheeling on the North coast of California. Not wanting to deal with hauling it back to Sacramento the owner sold it to a fellow I later went to work for in 1988. It had a V8 conversion to the stock 3 speed. At that time I had worked on plenty of Land Cruisers in the dealership but had never seen an FJ45 Pickup. I thought it was about the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Flash forward to about 1997 I’d been back in Colorado for about 4 years and called my former boss in California to inquire about the FJ45 Pickup. He had lost interest in it and said it had been parked for about 6 years. I made him an offer; he said come and get it. So I hauled it back to Steamboat 3000 miles round trip. Next, I used it to offer as a signing bonus to hire the best machinist in the area about 2 years after I got it making that about 16 years ago. Since that time he has patiently built it to what’s pictured below. He painted it, installed a 2F engine and 4 speed. He also installed crawler gears in the xfer case, locked the rear end and converted it to 4 wheel disc brakes. It is truly the nicest 1967 FJ45 Pickup I’ve ever seen. He was recently offered 30k for it……… I paid 1500 and gave it away. But have no regrets!

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

67 FJ45PU.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Just great photos, the trucks and the location, doesn't get much better than that...:thumbup:

Gotta agree with Clive there. The truck is great and the powder blue with white lettering is a fabulous colour scheme.

Back