Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie with glow-plugs and other electrical issues, Help!

VintageGonzo

Country Flag
belgium
Hi everybody! Just joined in the LandCruiser community as I am now the happy owner of an 84 HJ60…
Little tlc to be done and most importantly, fixing a few electrical issues
Basically, the previous owner had the glow plugs and leads replaced recently BUT despite that it just won't glow…
Glow light on the dash doesn't light up (actually does for about half a second and dies just after), and the only way to start the engine is by carefully turning the key halfway in-between on and ignition where it glows for about 2 or 3 sec, than repeat two or three times…
That actually works fine, starts every time but I'm still not totally sure about that trick…
So what would be your take on it? shot glow relay?
There also was a small burnt relay bolted just over the glow relay, any idea what it could have been?
And last thing, a loose ground coming from the fender apron and connected to nothing…

IMG_20150718_143755.jpgIMG_20150718_143828.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Sam

Hi Sam, not a lot to go on, I'm afraid as those bits are after market and could be anything. You're going to need to check for voltage across the glow plugs and see when/if they come on. Listen for the glow relay clunk and see when/ how long it comes on for. Check all fuses and fusible links both inside the dash and under the bonnet (generic info here as I don't know that truck) also check for loose connections. You can also find the wiring to the coil of the glow relay and give it a feed from the battery with a wire to the terminal that would normally receive +12v and see if it holds in and check the glow plugs get voltage. If the relay doesn't hold in long, it could be connections, possibly starter switch or glow timer. It sounds to me like it might be worth finding which wire from the ignition switch becomes live when you go half way and bridging this to +12v to see if you get more than the few seconds on the switch. If no change, it's not that. Process of elimination with a multimeter.

As far as the add on bits and the wire goes, you'll just have to trace out the wiring and see where it goes. I would guess some after market spot lights or such that have long since been removed.

PS when I say bridge out or put 12V on something I mean only while you are testing for short duration.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on. Oh, and pop over to the 'introduce yourself' section and give us some info on you and your truck as it helps the guys on here with diagnosis etc. [emoji6]

Richard

Last edited:
Back