Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non starter after dash lightbulb swap

vader

Country Flag
uk
Dilemma ahead of Easter trip! Just did straightforward gear selection bulb change and now no ignition when attempting to start. Engine sounds like it wants to but no fire. Batteries had originally been disconnected overnight whilst the dash was out. Vehicle fitted with TVSS IIIB and fob can be demonstrated to lock and unlock after initially locking the doors with the door mounted CL button. I have 2 keys and neither work. Do the keys need to re-pair with the security system? I've tried repeated cables off batteries for 30mins plus but no difference.

Any pointers much appreciated! LC is 3.0TD VX auto

Cheers

Any chance you disturbed the park/neutral inhibitor microswitch or its wiring when you changed the bulb for the gearshift light?

It's somewhere near the gear lever. Sorry if pic is a little large, trying this on an iPad for the first time.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
Thanks. For the dash work it was straightforward removal of dash surround. If the gearstick microswitch was misbehaving I'm guessing the starter would not attempt to work at all? I know it has had an engine swap and very occasionally it will not start and I just need to move the stick out of Park and then back in and that particular issue is cleared.

Last edited:
Try and start it in Neutral see if that makes a difference

Hi Sag, just tried and no joy with starting in neutral. I have spotted this spare plug from under the dash with no obvious home for it......

20160317_094630_resized.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK having to wait until Saturday for some spare bulbs to try as possibly the dash is upset with one damaged bulb present.... linked to this the fuel gauge is in a fixed position and not returning to zero with power off.

They is quite a few plugs what are spare for accesorys what aren't fitted and the fuel gauge doesn't drop on mine when ignition off,try holding the key in the start position while moving the auto lever to see if it starts then buddy worth a try

Thanks Sag - always worth a play had another dig around then spotted the 2 wire plug going into the RHS of ignition barrel has become dislodged. Thanks all for the suggestions as ran through various ideas. All appears OK now so more Easter exploring ahead!

Attachments

• 20150730_152202-1_resized_1.jpg
    20150730_152202-1_resized_1.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 118
  • Vader Wales.png
    Vader Wales.png
    783.6 KB · Views: 145
Glad to hear you got it sorted buddy,hope you have a good time.

Usually these glitches are something simple. Doesn't make them any easier to spot though.

Have a great trouble free trip Vader, nice looking truck :thumbup:

Back