Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not going out!

Dark Dude

Anyway this morning my truck refused to start. First I thought it was the battery but now I'm less inclined to go down that route. The car simply won't won't turn over and yet ALL the electrics work, lights, windows, radio etc. It's almost as if the alarm system has immobilised the car. Turn the key and nothing. This has sometimes happened when I've attempted to start the car with the gear lever still engaged in the drive position but this morning isn't the case. Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

John

The Dark Dude

Simple check if you haven't already, is to turn the key and move the shift lever against the spring - say in neutral both ways (rev and D) to see if the neutral start switch is out of kilter. Dunno why it should be, but I do know it's quite a narrow window of adjustment on an 80.

Immobiliser sounds likely too.

Have you tried in N & P? What you described to me sounded like starter solenoid contacts but I didn't realise the previous failures had been because you had it in D.

Wait there, Jon! Isn't it part of a in built safety feature that you are unable to start the car while in gear lever is in the drive position? This being my first auto, I really hope that this is the case. And yes I have tried both the "P" and "N" positions and didn't get a peep! The car should have broken down at your house LOL!

John

The Dark Dude

Yes it's a safety feature not to start in anything but N or P so if the previous failed starts were just because you had it in D then you should discount those instances as being connected to your current problem because you know what caused them. It could still be starter solenoid contacts but the evidence is less compelling in a single instance of failure to start.

Well now the boys at the Auto Surefit Motoring Centre (Wolverhampton) are on the case (thanks again to Jon). They are going to check both the battery, starter motor (solenoid) and the alternator and replace/repair where needed. Eventually the truck started when I connected it up to a newly charged battery starter. This is the 1st time my truck has failed to start, period. Other times it was either parked in the drive position or I managed to wriggle the joystick a little between "P" and "N" to get the thing going. Either way it's something I need to get sorted out. I was hoping that all this could wait until I get the truck to Burgess Hill and into the capable hands of Greg and Co. It seems I was wrong.

John

The Dark Dude

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well we've got the truck back ( and £360 poorer) from the nice dudes Auto Surefit after a 24 hour turnaround. Jon's hunch was right! The original Mr T starter motor was shot to pieces and was duly reconditioned as new and refitted. Only time will tell if it works but we'll find out soon enough, with a trip to Wales. So thank you Mr Wildsmith, you've saved the day again.

John

The Dark Dude

Update: Just got back from a 210 miles (£40 on LPG) round trip to Abergele, North Wales and the truck was nigh on perfect. So I reckon that's another result I'm going to have to chalk up to Jon.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

John

The Dark Dude

Dark Dude said:
Update: Just got back from a 210 miles (£40 on LPG) round trip to Abergele....

The Dark Dude

That is good! :thumbup:

How much do you pay for LPG round your way? Round here it's about 75.9p per litre. On that basis your achieving around 18mpg!! :cool:

Chadr

Remember that I drive with a light foot and keep the heavy metal for when I'm listening to Motorhead. I kept to a steady 65 mph on mostly A & B roads and my truck was like that all day, up hill and down dale. The LC100 wasn't all a Cruiser for nothing! This is the weird thing. I swear that since the starter motor been fixed, I've been getting better fuel economy. I can't prove this but it's something that has caught my attention (for the better).

Wolverhampton MUST have the cheapest LPG prices in the country. 60p per litre (Hilton Autogas). But i reckon even that is over the top given that 4 star unleaded is currently shipping at approx £1.45. Why oh why do the people of these isles tolerate living in rip off Britain?
John

The Dark Dude.

Back