Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Now this is winching

Mate, this winch moved the earth, just caused a Landslide.

I Feel sorry for the LandRovers, not cut out for this sort of terrain.

The winch saved it from permanent grounding.

what types of batteries and alternators do they have. Those things must hammer the batteries and the poor alternators must have a tough job of recharging again. I imagine the battery does not have much of a live either - constant high discharge and recharge must hurt after a while...

Ian Rubie said:
pugwash said:
The most effective "useable" vehicle i know is Mouse built by Jez Goodwin (of flyingspanners.net)
It just so happens that Jez has spent last weekend under the bonnet of my green car :dance: I have had a load of hydraulic hoses made up today. Final fitting this coming weekend. If my new system works as well as he says it will (and I have no reason at all to think it won't) I will have an amazing winch. Oh yes . . .

Ian

chain drive from the crank nose on a dog clutch running an upgraded pump and motor?

just be careful of the chain!

pugwash said:
chain drive from the crank nose on a dog clutch running an upgraded pump and motor?

just be careful of the chain!

Yes and will do :thumbup:

i look froward to seeing it working-remember the first time i saw a type-r running (on jez's first truck- petal) - really blew my socks off.

had a setup on my old range rover thing that ran off the PTO on the transfer case- god that was powerful. if yours is anything like that then i would be very careful of the winch mount intself deforming.

pugwash said:
i would be very careful of the winch mount intself deforming.

The more warnings like that I get the more excited I am becoming. Jez has already warned me I am about to enter a whole new world and to be careful.

pugwash said:
i look froward to seeing it working.

If all goes to plan it will be at Lincomb for the October 8th,9th and 10th event.

Ian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
pugwash said:
if yours is anything like that then i would be very careful of the winch mount intself deforming.
It's double mounted so he should be ok (alloy T15 winch cradle inside a steel T15) ;)

is that on a TJM bumper? fwiw mine deformed a multi angle, plated, webbed 6mm rolled steel seam welded case which was phenomenally well made- ripped it right apart. Chap i know not far from your way Ian (HybridfromHell on various forums) split a 10mm cage! Another guy had his whole winch destroy itself-that was a milemarker- drum rupped the end pieces off and cracked the gear housing.

The thing with hydraulic winches is that they are pulling full speed, full power right until you stall them, and with an uprated pump and motor when they say 12,000lb they mean it- its 50% more than an 8274, and under load will be going maybe 8 times as fast- you need to be into gigglepin twin top housing with 24v 6.5hp motors to come close and not even those have the same power when you're really pulling- have you installed a pressure gauge? Its just about the only way to tell if the winch is understrain!

What winch are you using- still a milemarker setup? Where's the tank, and whats the size? solenoid valves or manual? calculated winch speed on low at full load?

pugwash said:
What winch are you using- still a milemarker setup? Where's the tank, and whats the size? solenoid valves or manual? calculated winch speed on low at full load?

Sounds like we need a full write up Ian ;)

I've done some frankly very dangerous snatch recoveries off the recovery points on that bumper, which are mounted to the winch mount, way in excess of what that winch will do and there are no signs of deformation so he should be ok. Wether the winch can take it is another matter :) It helps that being a T15 it's feet first of course.

Is it better to mount the winch feet first then? I've just had a bash at a tray for mine but have put it feet down... :doh:

Jon Wildsmith said:
I've done some frankly very dangerous snatch recoveries off the recovery points on that bumper, which are mounted to the winch mount, way in excess of what that winch will do and there are no signs of deformation so he should be ok. Wether the winch can take it is another matter :) It helps that being a T15 it's feet first of course.

yep, not saying it won't- had a good look at the cradle on my T15 bumper last night oddly. It does have some folds in it, and you are right it is feet first, but knowing what my winch ripped apart i'd still take it easy on the first couple of times out.

woud be interested to see what the new red winches are like. same bloke that used to sell milemarkers is now selling the red winches!

Gav Peter said:
Is it better to mount the winch feet first then? I've just had a bash at a tray for mine but have put it feet down... :doh:

A lot of winches are feet down and for normal winches that's fine but remember that all the load will be transmitted through a very small area of the mount around the winch mounting bolts so it needs to be quite stiff and make sure the rope comes off the bottom of the drum to minimize leverage. Feet first means the load is a bit more spread out.

The TJM T3 winch mount on my 100 is just a big think plate between the chassis rails with the winch mounted feet down.

I thought I'd seen them mounted in this manner previously - including your truck Jon!!! Yup, gotchya on the rope & the mount design... I'm going to pop some pics up when I get it back from my 'metal gluist' but I have made up plates to wrap around the chassis rails & pick up five bolt points at each end - the ones on the top & bottom of the rails.

I've hatched the design based upon a mount plate I got when I bought the winch off David Bowyer & some 150x6 flat bar I had lying around :)shock:) so its a bit heath robinson but I hope it will do for starters.

I'll [s:2zlmksae]percevere[/s:2zlmksae] carry on with it like this for now. If it cocks up my bumper plans, I'll maybe change it to suit then :) At least if the winch is on the truck I can try & get the thing wired in & working which is more than I have presently...

Hoping to be on-line for Lincomb in October for some field (or forest...) testing ;)

yep might even spin mine up at Lincomb for the 1st time, always been too busy green laning to do it at the previous ones.

pugwash said:

So many questions :lol: The winch is an Ox that I got from Jon. The motor has been changed. The tank is where the near side battery used to be, the battery is now in the boot. The tank is approx 15 litres which I know is not big enough for full on competition type winching but is sufficient for my needs. Valves are solenoid. Calculated winch speed on low at full load is a secret until I've checked the calcs are correct :whistle:

Ian

Enough already - start getting worried Rubie... There's another winch coming together now...

MUX's Winch Tray...

I bet you're quaking in yer boots now mate!!!

:lol: :lol:

Gav Peter said:
Enough already - start getting worried Rubie... There's another winch coming together now...

MUX's Winch Tray...

I bet you're quaking in yer boots now mate!!!

:lol: :lol:

Oh yes, really worried :laughing-rolling:

Don't panic though, as I am helping run the weekend I will not be punch hunting.

Ian

Ian Rubie said:
pugwash said:
. . . calculated winch speed on low at full load?

. . . Calculated winch speed on low at full load is a secret until I've checked the calcs are correct :whistle:

Ian

Well I have done some very basic tests and Jez was spot on with his sums. Using nothing more complex or accurate than a paced out 20 metres and the second hand of a watch I can confirm that in low gear it does 20 meters in about 50 seconds and in high gear it does 20 meters in about 8 seconds :shock:

Winch speed is related to engine rpm, being a crank driven pump. I had plenty of revs to spare so it could go faster if I wanted ;)

Ian

Back