Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Number plates

warrenpfo

I have had to have new plates made up as the current reg has been transferred back to the PO. Now that I feel I have been completely raped by Halfords having spent £31 for 2 plates...nothing out of the ordinary just STD plates I want to know what the law says about the rear one being lit.

The reason I ask is that the way ARB have designed the rear wheel swing out means you have to remove the number plate prior to removing the wheel if you want to do a change. That does not work for me and I also want to add a spare wheel cover.

My thought was to move it down below the tyre on the swing out its self but am not sure if it needs to have a light or not.

Not my truck but gives you an idea as to where it is and how it is in the way.

arbrear.jpg

Its a legal requirement as it needs to be lit up so it can be read by the police and the ANPR system.
I haven't heard about anyone being done over here in northern Ireland for it but maybe the police in England see it differently.

I'm not very knowledgeable about electrics but would it be possible to link up a temporary light say wired into the towbar electrics as the lights don't have to be factory fitted.

Last edited:
It has a light currently but it would require me to mount the light along with the number plate which makes for a more labour intensive fit rather than just double sided tape.

Back