Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Off Road Training Courses

garygiles1963

HI

I have planned a West to East Pyrenees trip in June. I'm hoping the route planned will involve lots dirt track driving.

I have very little experience in this kind of driving and I think it would be good for me to do a course in driving off road to get my confidence up. Most of all in ascents and descents.

I'm looking for any recommendations for courses in 4x4 off road driving.

Many thanks.

Regards
Gary

Years ago TonyS and I did a Lantra 4x4 course. It was excellent, one day but I learnt so much and have found the experience invaluable ever since. Lantra courses are held all over the country so worth searching their website for one near you.
Obviously what this does is give you a good understanding and practical application - there's nothing like learning the principles and then immediately going out and trying to execute them. A good basis to build your knowledge from as there are always more things to learn.
One of the most interesting aspects for me was with the limited off-road experience that I then had, was how much I was doing wrong, although it may have felt right at the time and it was what I'd been told. IMO there's no substitute for doing a course.

Regards,

Rodger

I have never been on a course mate but no doubt a visit to Lincomb would be of huge benefit with regards to learning what your truck is capable of . In my view actually getting stuck teaches us far more than any hypothetical discussion can .

The relaxed manner by which its all done is great because if you encounter an obstacle of which you are dubious you can just pull over and the next fella won't be 5 minutes away who will likely drive straight over it without pause for thought giving you confidence to step out of your comfort zone .

And if you do get stuck it allows people to show off their rescue skills and equipment :lol:

I think a course is Invaluable really. I had had very little off road experience until I joined my local 4x4 response who regularly take groups to a private location and teach the basics. Failed hill climb, Side slopes, descents, off road recovery, ditch crossings, gully ascents/descents, all with safety of yourself, bystanders, other drivers and the vehicle in mind. All of it hands on, in vehicle practical experience. Then there's picking your path through or around obstacles, avoiding things that may do damage. Great to then put that into practice somewhere like Lincomb.

We actually did the course just before the first Lincomb and, although TonyS is very experienced, we both felt that it would be better to advise/help people (who wanted it) the correct way rather than perhaps passing on any bad habits. As we were organising that event between us we thought it better to give people fact rather than heresay. Tony has years of off-road experience and has probably forgotten more than most of us will ever know and he found the course interesting and gained further knowledge from it.
Yes there was a couple of hours in a classroom followed by six hours out there doing it (including some very extreme stuff) and, as Gary wants to build skills and confidence, I would recommend it. I know that I will tackle obstacles since doing the course that I would have never contemplated attempting before. It does give that knowledge and confidence and then you can practice at somewhere like Lincomb.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back