Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Offroad-Comparison Battle: SUVs 2021 (Toyota vs Lexus, Range, Mercedes)

Surfy

Trans-Afrika-Tripping.JPG

Which one’s AWD system is better in large premium SUV class? You’ll find the answer in this video: Land Cruiser 200, GLS 450, LX 570, QX80, Range Rover, BMW X7, G63 in absolutely stock configuration:

SUV Battle 2021: Land Cruiser 200, GLS 450, LX 570, QX80, Range Rover, BMW X7, G63 - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Do we still need lockers on newer cars with 4x4 drive? Guess most of us - not...

Surfy

Like any new laptop it works perfectly until some common sense is called for and then it has a mental breakdown and commits suicide , if my life depends on it give me a mechanical lever any day of the week electronics cannot be trusted unless you can sue for millions when (not if) they fail .

Anything can broke - most can be fixed. Also during overland travel. We are not in an apocalyptic scenario yet.

My electric is still working after 68k Miles (110`000km) through africa and so on

image.png

I have a triple locked rig - but I`am personally impressed how good the stock stuff is.

Many time these electric helpers did save my ass, when the tracks goes worse unexpected, with no lockers engaged...

I'm glad it works for you mate I can see the appeal , a few times i had a hospital CT scan and i didn't get fried so i do trust electronics when i have to just saying i will never trust them because i want to which pretty much means i will never be able to buy a new car .

Horses for courses and each to there own :thumbup:

Electronics in vehicles are not a new thing anymore., why people are so scared of them is beyond me. They showed up since the 90, it has been 3 decades. Also it depends who makes them. Good electronics are even a plus, helps you get to the problem straight away. Of course if you had a Landrover sure, I can understand mistrust, otherwise they are fine in many cars..

An extreme example but nobody wants something that even the manufacturers don't understand well enough to fix . All well and good when you will never own a car outside of its new warranty limits but a life in permanent debt on the never never is not for some .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

An extreme example but nobody wants something that even the manufacturers don't understand well enough to fix . All well and good when you will never own a car outside of its new warranty limits but a life in permanent debt on the never never is not for some .
I had 92 BMW 5 series, the m50 petrol engine..by the standard of the time it was chuck full of electrics and electronics. One of the first models with a throttle by wire for example in big numbers. Bought it second hand, it was 13 years old at the time I got it . Kept it for 6 years. The only electronic gremlin I had was a "check brake lights " on the dash , but all the lights were working. I later found out that if you replaced a bulb, they were slightly different in resistance, so it would trigger the light. The trick was to replace both bulbs at the same time with the exact same model if one of them failed. So even if one of them was still good, you had replace both and it would be ok. Nothing that would leave me stranded.
I had many other old cars... they were fine. Also had new vehicles lately, but those were ok as well. small niggles like TPMS sensors coming on and things like that, nothing major.
But sure, if you had a peugeot from the 2000.. yeah.. I would probably be scared from the experience.
My LC5 J120 had some the climate control on the touch screen. I was always afraid that if that screen goes I am in trouble. It was actually about the only thing that did not break down on that car. Other wise I craped out the engine(EGR and oil leaks, transmission - leaking ) bits and pieces of of suspension but those was normal wear and tear...
The one thing that never broke was the electrical and the electronics on it... and it was full of them.

Aye build quality is suffering because why build it well when cheap electronics can prevent you from damaging cheaper/weaker mechanical components .

The new 150 is twice the size with half the engine because of .................. magic , or maybe its just programmed not to self-destruct ................ yet .

Back