Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil catch can on V8 D4D

chiradu

Country Flag
switzerland
Anyone using oil catch can on V8 D4D engine? It is advisable? pro and cons?
Thanks

Thought about it a lot, haven't fitted one yet, too much conflicting information whether they are good or bad. I'm erring on the side of if required, Toyota would have installed one.

Reactions: Raj
Hmm, You know everything is commercial those days. At some points they need you back in theirs shop for spending money.

But using that philosophy, Toyota doesn't want to clean out the inlets on these V8's.

Also the catch can doesn't stop the soot. Only oil vapour. The soot alone causes more problems apparently.

I stand by original comment, Toyota have developed a modern hi-tech diesel V8 which must have cost a fortune to develop, but also expensive to produce. Do you think they would honestly leave out a £150 component just to create service revenue? If it was needed, I think they would install it.

the EGR clogs up the entire intake tract. no EGR and only the PCV connected to the intake only leaves a slight oil film on the intake tract but deposits carbon on the back of the intake valves.

the two together are pretty messy. toyota probable dont bother about this as the 1HD family of engines will still see 400000 miles plus if maintained correctly.

Closed crank ventilation along with exhaust gas recirculation are in answer to people who never had a job nor did anything practical or useful in life , or to be more specific politicians .

A solid fuel engine runs most efficiently on cold clean air because it contains more oxygen .

Manufacturers are legally bound to add this junk but you can be 100% sure they don't want to .

Closed crank vent is the lesser of the 2 evils and a catch can fitted or not won't make much difference to a finely tuned engine .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i installed one a year ago. I havent had any issues barring the fact that i have collected close to 500ml of black gunk at the end of 9 months which is like a mixture of oil, soot and vapour

What one did you go for Neville, Provent 200?

I put on a Provent 200 really works catching the gunk well worth the money. I am surprised how much they catch and stops gunk going into my engine.

Reactions: Raj
Back