Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil catch tanks

Lorin

They are such a simple, cheap mod that I've been looking at oil catch tanks and am a bit confused by the options.. :think:

Some vent to the atmosphere via a filter e.g., http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Polished-Oil-Catc ... 43a4bf0af4

But some do not e.g., http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-POLO-PASS ... 53e5f4da58

Does it make any difference? Am I right in assuming that the non-venting one would be better in light of deep water crossings?

Also, some seem to just be empty cans in which the oil vapor condenses, whereas others are baffled and contain gauze and a magnetic base to to assist in removing oil and any particles. Any point in getting the latter is a straight can good enough?

There are tons available on ebay and appear to all be pretty universal.

Whats your thinking for fitting one?

Paul said:
Whats your thinking for fitting one?

I stumbled across a few threads on ih8mud and elsewhere talking about the relative benefits of fitting one. It seems they assist in stopping oily vapour being recirculated from the crankcase back into the intake which in terms of an LC gets more relevant as the engine is older/higher mileage. I think this just adds another layer of protection to the engine. From what I've read I think it may also reduce how much exhaust smoke you get.

I haven't come across any reasons not to fit one and it isn't something that can 'go-wrong' in terms of compromising reliability. Given how cheap and easy they are to fit I just figured it might be a worthwhile mod.

We had a chat about it on here last week Lorin.

I have bought from the ebay chap you listed - very good service. I got the one with a vent on it but the one I got came with a grommet that would block the hole in place of the filter... I haven't fitted it yet either...

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice :lol: :lol:

Was there any particular reason you got one with the filter/vent Gav?

Nope, bought in total igborance!!! I didn't realise they did so many options Lorin... I might have gone for a smaller one - mines like a feckin fire extinguisher!!!

Gav Peter said:
... I might have gone for a smaller one - mines like a feckin fire extinguisher!!!
Maybe size does matter :o

At least I won't have to empty it very often, if ever!!! :oops:

Back