Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

only reverse lights fails. Everything else is working properly

Janne Huovinen

Country Flag
finland
I have 150 with automatic transmission. One day reverse lights went off and havent come back since. Reverse lights are out from the trailer socket as well but everything else is working fine. Is there switch somewhere in transmission? If is where it is. I have tried to look it, but not any success yet. Could someone please help me!

All fuses in front are ok. Nr 3 in cabin is ok as well. Left bulb was gone. Do not give any voltage to back. Nor right or left side for reverse light or on trailer socket. Im pretty sure that even fuse nro 3 was without power???? I do not have a clue where to go from here.

The tow socket would be my first suspect because they are apt to corrode on any vehicle .

so tow socket thinks it is in use and does not light up reverse lights on the car, but still it wont even care to give backup lights voltage to the socket?? Does that make any sense?

Electrics is not my strong point but i would assume a failed tow socket acts like a circuit breaker , like someone cut a wire . Its a couple of screws to undo it and look inside .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As Shayne said check your tow socket isn't shorting out. I would also be looking to see if there is a switch of sorts on the transmission that possibly sends a signal to the ecu when reverse is shifted, it may be faulty?

Have you replaced the blown bulb yet?

Might have something to do with your trailer.
I don't know anything about modern 'electronic' toyotas, but when I tow a trailer with my volkswagen, the system thinks it has a short circuit and switches off that circuit. In the dash, the 'faulty bulb' light comes on. The first time, I disassembled the whole light cluster only to find out nothing was wrong. I have to hook up the laptop to reset the fault and get it working again. The log file shows the number of faults, I guess it shuts down the circuit after a certain number.(Well, it might be a real short somewhere in the trailer. Haven't sorted it out yet)
Maybe the same happens with your cruiser.

Might there be a small fuse box in the rear compartment where the bottle jack is kept? I can't remember if there is one but I think that is where the cables are connected for the tow socket.
It might be worth having a look in there.

Back