Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ordanence Survey iPhone iPad App

chilipepper

I downlaoded this app a couple of weeks ago for use on the local river and It works superbly and would be equally at home off roading.

£9.95 gets you a quarter of the country in their 1:50,000 scale maps I bought the Northwest and Wales, unlike google maps you do not need a 3G signal as the maps are all stored directly in the device, therefore you get your location and map instantly.

Not really any good for walking as you ideally need to have your device pluged in as using the GPS does eat the battery, however that isn't a problem in the car :thumbup:

Looks neat. Shame there's no such thing as a ruggedised ipad

interesting.... I have been thinking of downloading this on the ipad to see how it performs...
Might have another good look at it....

I have downloaded it on to my iPad as well as my iPhone, I have a 'griffin survivor' case for the iphone so it's well 'ruggedised' the iPad i'll just keep in the car and use like a map, ie when I need it.

It's worth noting that the App is designed for the iphone and therefore when you use it on the ipad you lose some of the crisp clarity.

Don't forget that you only pay once for the download and then can upload to as many iphone's and ipads as you like as long as they share the same apple id and are registered to one apple account. I currently have 6 ipads and 4 iphones on my account which spreads the cost of the App's such as Tom Tom and this app, films and TV series etc. (Me, wife, three children, my mother, my mother inlaw and a friend of mines disabled daughter)

The cost of downloading Desperate Housewife's is therefor split three ways :oops: (wife, my mother, my mother inlaw) Whereas the cost of the Topgear arctic special cannot be split :cool:

I've seen the Otterboxes. For ruggedised, I was thinking more more about dust ingress and vibration like Toughbooks rather than dropping.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had OS maps on my iPhone for 2+years I love it for finding odd locations and ways around road works etc

Now I have an iPad, oooooo I like it lots. I can go laning with my daughter (who's 4!) and navigate easily. She sits there with it and moves the map around so the blue dot stays visible bless her!

I am amazed how much abuse my iPhones have taken, I have killed one (dropped in my stream :roll: )

There is a good "sat nav" app which is free but I can't remember it's name!

Back