Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

outside temperature guage

Anyone found and fitted an outside temp gauge on their 80...?

Would love to have an accurate one...

Jeremy

Admin Note: The dual posting of this same subject has been zapped as there was nothing added to it that is not in this one already.

Some of the 70 series (mine included) have a dash pod with inside/outside temps in digital displays with an altimeter/barometer alongside. Might be worth looking for one being broken.

The outside temp thermometer is behind the front bumper on the drivers side.

Jim

I have one in the 80 similar to this one but mine doesn't show inside and outside temps simultaneously.

Be careful where you mount the outside temp sensor, it needs to be out of direct sunlight and away from the heat of the motor and exhaust :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i miss not having a thermometer in the car.

you could go posh and get a gentex mirror to do the job (and a few other things)

http://www.gentex.com/auto_plo_interior.html would look a little more factory, but doesn't show inside temp.

they're rather expensive unforutnately. lots of american suv's seem to have come with gentex mirrors as standard, but i've not been able to ascertain if they make them manufacturer specific. if they all have the same wiring, then a second hand one would be a big saving. if they're manufacturer specific, hen getting the sensors would eb a pain in the arse, as would getting a mounting kit.

I bought a couple from Lidl last year I've fitted one in the 80 & one in the Ninety (Green Oval variant! :shock: )

They do inside & outside temperatures with a frost alarm & a clock, 4.99 each :thumbup: Think the make is Silvercrest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Auto-Car- ... 014wt_1190

paul was it one like this you installed?

if so did you hard wire it? i purchased one last week and hard wired it over the weekend to come on with the dash lights. It lit for a few seconds brightly and then faded to nothing and wouldn't light again. i presume that i blew the light, but i'm not sure how.

I lopped the cigar lighter off to wire it up and i'm wondering if this contained some sort of regulator to prevent damage to the panel.

callum said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Auto-Car-Thermometer-Temperature-gauge-out-/250714773248?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5fc3d700#ht_4014wt_1190

if so did you hard wire it? i purchased one last week and hard wired it over the weekend to come on with the dash lights. It lit for a few seconds brightly and then faded to nothing and wouldn't light again. i presume that i blew the light, but i'm not sure how.

I lopped the cigar lighter off to wire it up and i'm wondering if this contained some sort of regulator to prevent damage to the panel.

Callum

A lot of these things work on 5v so you may well have done the lighting.

i think you may be right les. i smashed the cigar lighter adapter that i cut off with a meat tenderiser before dinner this evening. seems to contain a fuse, reasonably sized resistor and a diode. a quick google search shows that this is likely to be a zener diode regulator so presumably this regulates the car's voltage from 12v-ish down to something like 5v as you describe.

in any case, i've probably blown the backlight. might just have to get a new one.

callum said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Auto-Car-Thermometer-Temperature-gauge-out-/250714773248?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5fc3d700#ht_4014wt_1190

The one I have runs off 2 AA batteries, its been in the car over 12 months and is still on the original set.

Can't actually se the image you referred to on Ebay as the post has been deleted... any more clues as to the unit you have...?

Thanks

Jeremy

hi jeremy, hopefully this link will work

new_353466620_thumb.jpg

its that type of thermometer

just searched ebay under car thermometer. once i sprayed it black it looked not too out of place. shame it only comes with blue illumination (or none in my case now).

callum said:
i think you may be right les. i smashed the cigar lighter adapter that i cut off with a meat tenderiser before dinner this evening. seems to contain a fuse, reasonably sized resistor and a diode. a quick google search shows that this is likely to be a zener diode regulator so presumably this regulates the car's voltage from 12v-ish down to something like 5v as you describe.

in any case, i've probably blown the backlight. might just have to get a new one.

I love your electronic engineering skills Callum :lol:
It's unlikely that you would be able to repair it as they usually have subminiture LEDs but it may be worth a look inside if you can get into it without a crowbar or pneumatic drill. :o

Back