Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Overland suspension recommendation/improvements

Drove it today and its better now, not perfect but much better than before. I'm surprised at how much of an improvement it is actually.

Going a bit off topic and back to MOT tests, my 80 passed last year with the rear anti roll bar missing altogether; I'd removed the brackets from the chassis as well but the tester did pick up on the shiny new bolts I'd put in to fill the holes. I muttered something about trying out an ARB from a later car but not liking it and he soon moved on... I'm not sure if he simply wasn't doing his job properly or could see that the other modifications meant the handling wouldn't be much different with or without the ARB. He passed it anyway.

All other things being equal (which they weren't) removing the rear ARB would promote understeer which is deemed a 'safe' handling trait so maybe things would have been different if I'd removed the front.

I also remember discussions with testers about seats and seat belts. I had no third row seats (never got any when I bought the car), the belt assemblys were present but obviously the buckles attached to the seats weren't. The first tester wanted to fail it because the belts weren't operational. The conclusion at the time seemed to be that if the seats aren't there and the complete seat belt isn't there then there isn't anything to test. I unbolted them in the end as I didn't want to argue the toss every time.

Anyhow, let's go back to Rob's handling issues...

Rob, if you've checked over all the suspension bushes including the control arms, shock mountings and panhards, and moved as much weight as you can low down and between the axles, then I think you're down to reducing weight or spending money.

Best of luck,
Toby
1990 HDJ80 UK

Rob said:
You can MOT a vehicle over 3000kg as class 3 only if it is a non commercial vehicle (ie not a pick-up) and 4WD according to my MOT place.

Yes Rob, that is what I was trying to say, but as Land Rovers are dual use it has picked up a lot.

Toby, Yes it would pass not, but the new bit comes into the mot very soon. If yours was removed before the new system of mot came in you might be ok.

Paul

Back