Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

overland trip to Mongolia kit list

Crispin - you have mail :dance:

So - a BIG proviso here people - and Crispin, please add to the sticky, as follows (or at least the disclaimer bit) ...

DISCLAIMER: These lists are to be used at your own discretion, and risk. I, and the club, will take no responsibility for any issues / accidents / fatalities etc. that may occur from inclusion or exclusion of the items mentioned. The lists are no way comprehensive - use intelligently please.

/DISCLAIMER

I need to thank the source of the lists, gleaned over a few years - some from the South African Land Cruiser Club, and some from the Overland Forum in South Africa.

The lists are, in a lot of ways, South African oriented, and some of the trade names may not be available locally, but I've not yet been unable to find a local equivalent.

:hand: Don't try to take the whole list contents - you'll need a convoy just to carry it all :doh:

And if you spot errors or omissions, please let us know so we can build them into something useful and workable :geek:

The planning section needs some work - i.e. the bit where you input your menu choices x number of people and it generates a shopping list isn't working properly, and I need to spend some quality time with it - one day :(

Cheers

Another thing I also take is a photo copy of every document, I also leave a set at home with someone that could be contacted if needed for the information.

24Seven said:
Another thing I also take is a photo copy of every document, I also leave a set at home with someone that could be contacted if needed for the information.

I plan taking many copies for border crossings, etc.

Also scan a copy and keep it in your webmail inbox (or google docs account), then a copy can be printed from any remote internet cafe..

I also carry all of my docs, right down to copies of credit cards etc on a memory stick which is easily sewn into the waistband of my trousers!

Andy

Rob,

Dual fuel filter - it's not an absolute must but will keep you going for longer. Air springs - not expensive (I think Matt Savage sells them), but very good for keeping rear suspension out of harms'w way.

Spares - I normally take whatever's necessary to improvise roadside repairs to keep the engine running and the wheels turning until you reach the nearest human settlement, as well as the parts that can't be easily repaired by the local blacksmith or adapted from other vehicles, like bearings, u-joints, oil seals, small engine parts, radiator fan (without the viscous coupling), etc.

Self-recovery - you will be surprised to find how overpopulated this world is; sooner or later someone will pop up to offer help.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crikey, I dar'nt let the missus see the full list, she'll think all her christmasses have come at once & Ive been telling her a load of rubbish ...........No dear, you dont need that, or this or that, honestly I dont mind if you leave your ladyshave behind darling !!!!

That does seem a massive list!! Why not leave most of the stuff behind but to hand, with a load of packing boxes that someone can post out to you.

My trip to Portugal in a couple of weeks will be simple by comparison, but Ive used the list as a template, and crossed off what I dont need.

This is my second trip abroad, the first was in France, but hopefully my third will be North Africa, so the big list will be more relevant.

The difference this time will be that for France I packed loads of clothes, but listed which I actually wore, so for Portugal I wont take a lot of stuff.

I dont know where Yogi is heading, so dont know how the list stacks up for him, but I guess going to Mongolia you do have to think of everything - no way am I taking medical stuff, I'd just hurt myself with it.......

Cheers

Pete

Back