Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Passengers elec mirror folds out too far?

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hi Folks!
As some of you may know I recently bought a 2001 Prado. The elec mirrors did not work so today I pulled the switch to find it was not connected. Having reconnected it everything seemed to work great .... until... i looked at the passengers mirror instead of the drivers.

It seems when you wind them out from the closed or folded position, the drivers mirror stops in the correct position but the passenger one folds out beyond the "normal" position and keeps going until it is parallel with the body.
Pass_Mirror.jpg

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas please?

One thing to add, is that when the mirror is fully extended as shown in the pic, when rewinding to the normal folded position, it does hesitate (even click slightly) as it passes the normal "folded out" position.

Thanks.

I think there's a limiter in the mechanism that is allowed to be overcome easily in case the mirror gets a wallop. My passenger one does it every now and then, through wear I would imagine. I just push it back in manually and then press the fold button again and it resets itself

MarkW :p
Bob, just tried pushing in to position but as soon as ign goes on it folds back out! Maybe your limiter mechanism is shot?

My a combination of when you fold it vs when you turn on the ignition. The limiter is only for the motor and is like a ratchet type thing. It can swivel beyond this. It's like your mirror is sitting at 90 degrees on the ratchet to where it should be. If you press the button again what happens?

You mean when it is already out and fully overextended push the open button again Bob?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah, and then close again.. I think it just takes a bit of getting to get it back to the right spot. You'll hear a definite click when it does. It'll sound like something has broken, but it hasn't. The fact that it folds out like that means the motor works, and just needs to be recentred

OK Bob tried that and several similar positions and think I have tried them all now - still folds out too far GRRRR!

Oh and BTW, the button on mine is open or closed is just one push so I cannot have it open again if it thinks they are out - it just closes again.

The Subaru Forester I sold last year, used to do this. First the drivers side and then the passenger side.
And it got worse, the mirrors did some self check when ignition turned on and they would fold forward like that.
In the end I snipped the wires going to the motor on both sides and lived without folding mirrors !

Thanks Andy not encouraging :cry::cry:.

I am just hoping over the next several days somebody with more knowledge ( sorry no offense! ) can help me sort it out. If not, maybe I can take it apart and find some innards at a scrappy. Unfortunately, there are not too many L.C's in the land of no rust!

None taken, just my best understanding of how the mechanism works, based purely on listening to it! Hope you get sorted

Cool! But hey, you are right about the sounds it makes sounds like something is breaking - I had kittens the first time I heard it!

Back