Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Piketboberg RSA

Trevor Hall

Country Flag
south_africa
Your name: Trevor Hall
Your Cruiser: LC 200 VX-R (2017)
Mods on your Cruiser: only just got it, so none yet really ( I removed the jump seats at the back)
Plans for your Cruiser: this car is going to work the southern part of Africa (if I have anything to do with it). First big trip to Kgalagadi in July (sand and gravel). Next winter (2019) a longer trip through Namibia, Caprivi, Zim (maybe) Zambia and back to Western Cape through Botswana.
First modification will be to install an ARB twin compressor. Then a set of drawers and fridge slide. A dust defeating snorkel is also on this list before the July desert trip.
4x4 Experience: A fair amount; previous trips : three times to Namibia, along the Okavango River in Botswana; Richtersveld Wilderness (RSA/Namibia) various national parks around South Africa

Anything else you think is interesting or relevant:
a confession (or maybe celebration): I traded in a Discovery 4 against this very nearly new LC 200

We live on a small farm close to the town of Piketberg which is about 150kms north of Cape Town

Hi Trevor and Welcome. Great intro, sounds like you’ve now seen the light ditching the Disco for a 200. I bet you love it! Sounds like you’ve got some great travel plans so I’m looking forward to the trip reports when you go and of course to seeing some pics. We love the pics on here. There’s plenty of helpful members on here, quite a few from South Africa. My wife and family have visited several times and have friends around Cape Town area.
Good to have you aboard.

Best wishes
Rich

Welcome. Now I may be wrong but I seem to recall there's a few of your countrymen on here.

Queue hilarious exchanges of local humour that we don't find funny. Ha ha.

Thanks for the welcome.
A shiny new beast pictured in the very dry RooiKaroo (Kasteelberg is the mountain in the background) (Feb2018)
IMG_3939-forweb.jpg

So far so good, with this mostly fine vehicle (dare I be a bit critical?).
My only real grumble is with the SatNav- it has to be said that the software is clunky (to me) and there are real navigation issues which have been reported to the dealer and will hopefully be corrected at its first service. It cannot be persuaded to choose the most direct route to my local town- a 94km trip is persistently offered for a real 24km journey. We will see if Toyota SA can sort it in due course, meanwhile we will use Googlemaps on the phone.

Reactions: uHu
Nice truck there Trevor, under a fantastic sky!!
Is the navigation by Garmin by any chance? :whistle:

What a fantastic sky. And a very nice Cruiser of course. I've had a fair few Yotas with Sat Nav and I've not really been impressed with any of them. The one in the Hilux is OK but nothing special.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome aboard Trevor, certainly looking forward to your trip reports, plenty of “armchair Overlanders” on here too... :whistle:

Beautiful truck BTW....

The satnav software is (I think) local Toyota- nothing else will work apparently, which is a great pity as we have an excellent garmin compatible off and on road gps map by Tracks4Africa (https://www.tracks4africa.co.za/). An excellent product which I will have to run on a stand alone tablet in the car.

The big sky is a wonderful feature of this part of the world , but we really could do with a few weeks of good downpours. It is very very dry here.

Welcome Trevor, nice looking truck and great travel plans for it. Spent 10 years in SA and Botswana, miss it loads...

Looking forward to any Zambian content - lived there for 5 years but havent been back for 20 years now. Nice truck Trevor.
And welcome

Back