Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Planning a Draw build

Neil Stone

Planning a Drawer build

Hi guys
I'm planning building some drawers for the my 80 series this winter.
I'm thinking of something a little like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaU4REvLM0

Essentially these are just plywood constructions that run on teflon/plastic strips. So no drawer sliders or roller bearings, just simple ply drawers sliding on low friction strips set within a plywood box.
I intend to make them the same height as the folded seats so that I still have a usable flatbed space within the 80.

My dad has offered to draw them up on CAD so I can get an accurate cutting list and just buy the materials in ready cut. Will be happy to share these if it all works out well.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a place to purchase those handle/latches from?

Looking through Drifta.au it looks like they just glue, pin and screw the plywood together. I'm wondering if there could be some nice jointing methods that could be used to add strength. Any thoughts on this?

Probably my biggest question, how do you anchor your drawer system to the vehicle. Obviously there are the seat anchor points set into the floor. I know some of you have used these........but how did you use them?

Any way, this is the start of the journey, I'm not in a rush (and frankly just really busy with work and a planned house extension due to start soon) but I'm hoping to have the shopping list sorted for the new year and the drawers finished for spring. I'd welcome any input from you experienced builders.

So thinking ahead. initially I need to source:
  1. some really good quality handles that 'lock' the drawers into position and can be opened and shut single handed. This is probably the most important piece, it's the bit that gets used the most and has to be really strong and robust.
  2. some good quality table legs (not even started looking for these but would welcome any guidance if you know where to buy)

Thanks in advance guys.

Best wishes
Neil

Last edited:
The advantage of sliders is the option of 100% extension, so you can get stuff in and out of the rear part of the drawer without having to remove other stuff. You do pay for that convenience in cost, weight and a little space.

The table and pull out kitchen box is clever but uses a lot of extra space all the time. I think I'd rather have a separate table I chuck in when needed, there are lots of choices.

80 series rear seat backs don't fold down flat, they are angled, lower at the back. If after folding you release the base and shove the right size bit of wood under to raise the rear edge you can level them. That's the height I built my drawers to so it makes a comfy sleeping platform.

Just my random thoughts on this subject :shifty:

Excellent point about the slope Jon, thank you !
It is a sleeping platform that I'm after and I just thought I'd live with the slope.
But a piece of wood and deeper drawers is a much better solution.
:clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back