Portugal GPX files?

Gary Stockton

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
zimbabwe
Hi all,

Contemplating a Portugal trip this year, remote areas mostly with decent camping facilities (I believe wild camping is frowned upon...). Does anyone have a GPX tracking or route they wouldn't mind sharing please? Or thoughts on where to go (and where to avoid!). Duration probably 10 days excluding transit time.

Obrigado

Have you had a look at Wikiloc ?

Ooh no I hadn't, thanks for that. A very useful resource!

Excellent thanks, nice route. Now to learn French to decipher it

Yeah wikiloc very good, I use that as primary method to find trails now.
there maybe roadbooks available for Portugal too

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
HI

I traveled both Pyrenees and north Portugal in Oct-Nov 21. About 80% off road. 90% wild camping. I never saw or had any issues from anyone. I loved traveling Portugal its a very easy going place. Experienced lots of great off road track, though some were very tricky and tight and set the pulse running.

Here is a link to my GPX files for Portugal only, let me know if you like the Pyrenees as well.
Portugal 2021 GPX Files - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Here is a link to pictures of both Pyrenees and Portugal. I'm hoping you can match up the date taken with the GPX date. Might help give you and idea of what you might see along the track

For this and the Iceland trip I solely used Gaia GPS, on my Android tablet and phone and on the PC. I use it for road, walking and cycling. I find it very useful for planning walks, due to back issues, I'm limited on how far I can hike.

Also use Park4Night, and google maps. Found some great overnight stops using Park4Night.

Let me know if you have any issues with accessing the files, I'll figure out another way to get them to you.

Please do ask if there is anything else you might think I can help with.

Regards
Gary

Thanks Gary, file access is good. I’ve got park4night, great app, so will do some research!

HI

I traveled both Pyrenees and north Portugal in Oct-Nov 21. About 80% off road. 90% wild camping. I never saw or had any issues from anyone. I loved traveling Portugal its a very easy going place. Experienced lots of great off road track, though some were very tricky and tight and set the pulse running.

Here is a link to my GPX files for Portugal only, let me know if you like the Pyrenees as well.

Here is a link to pictures of both Pyrenees and Portugal. I'm hoping you can match up the date taken with the GPX date. Might help give you and idea of what you might see along the track

For this and the Iceland trip I solely used Gaia GPS, on my Android tablet and phone and on the PC. I use it for road, walking and cycling. I find it very useful for planning walks, due to back issues, I'm limited on how far I can hike.

Also use Park4Night, and google maps. Found some great overnight stops using Park4Night.

Let me know if you have any issues with accessing the files, I'll figure out another way to get them to you.

Please do ask if there is anything else you might think I can help with.

Regards
Gary

Hi Gary. Any chance you could make those Portugal gpx files available again? Looks like we might be heading that way this year and need to plan a route.

Another vote for wikiloc, we used it for 10 days north to south portugal, was super useful and easy to use. Either following other peoples routes or just using it as a mapping tool to make our own route.

I was under the impression that wild camping was allowed just no open fires...we wild camped half of the time with no issues.. the municipal camp sites were really good and mostly below 10€ per night

Back