Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Possible brake replacement?

Yatys93

Country Flag
australia
Hey peeps

I have a 90 series Prado that I've only recently bought, so far its been great, some small hick ups, I left a light on and drained the battery and have noticed the front sway bar link has snapped on the passenger side, those are easy fixes at least, my question however is about the brakes, I have never owned anything near this big and it's a 2001 model making it quiet a lot older than my 2016 corsa I had back in the UK. No ABS which is something that I'll get used to, but the stopping distance is insane, wheels have locked up on a wet road but not when its dry, is there anything I can do to help with braking distance or is this just part of owning an older large heavy car?

My understanding is that because I can lock the wheels then the current breaks are still in ok shape and aren't failing as such.

sorry if this is a stupid question, just gets a little unsettling when the car doesn't want to stop :p

Thanks in advance

ABS should only be heard in an emergency stop situation and i personally hate having it in my 90 or my much heavier 80 series .

Like as not your calipers are due an overhaul but slippery when wet suggests to me that its the tyres you run ?

ABS should only be heard in an emergency stop situation and i personally hate having it in my 90 or my much heavier 80 series .

Like as not your calipers are due an overhaul but slippery when wet suggests to me that its the tyres you run ?
ABS I meant more so both the car I learnt in and the cars I've driven after have all had it, so to me its a normal feeling, where as this when I had to break hard the wheels just locked up, just something I'm not used to.

The tires are pretty new, I've attached a pic

Attachments

• IMG_2693.PNG
    IMG_2693.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Your just learning to drive a proper 4x4 is all , taller and heavier so they don't handle like a car . No ABS in the scrapyard junk i learned to drive in which is why i hate abs , at the first slip all my instincts scream at me to ease off the brake to maintain control . But of course i should instead scream like a girl stamp both feet on the brake pedal and go into a steering frenzy while abs lets the car travel about 4 times further into trouble than it would if it didnt have abs .

Regardless, braking distance shouldn't be an issue :think:

I get a year older every time im passenger in my daughters honda jazz because she thinks brakes should be applied only when tyres touch the white stop line :scared-eek:

My 90 is twice the size of her car so shes more cautious while driving it but shes never commented one way or another on stopping distance ?

Overhauled calipers , genuine Toyota pads and these front and back Drilled & Grooved Black Rear Brake Discs - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Improved brakes i already thought were fine .

P.S I have no idea why writing turned bold but i got sick of turning it off only for it to come back on again ?

Your just learning to drive a proper 4x4 is all , taller and heavier so they don't handle like a car . No ABS in the scrapyard junk i learned to drive in which is why i hate abs , at the first slip all my instincts scream at me to ease off the brake to maintain control . But of course i should instead scream like a girl stamp both feet on the brake pedal and go into a steering frenzy while abs lets the car travel about 4 times further into trouble than it would if it didnt have abs .

Regardless, braking distance shouldn't be an issue :think:

I get a year older every time im passenger in my daughters honda jazz because she thinks brakes should be applied only when tyres touch the white stop line :scared-eek:

My 90 is twice the size of her car so shes more cautious while driving it but shes never commented one way or another on stopping distance ?

Overhauled calipers , genuine Toyota pads and these front and back Drilled & Grooved Black Rear Brake Discs - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Improved brakes i already thought were fine .

P.S I have no idea why writing turned bold but i got sick of turning it off only for it to come back on again ?
I thought that was the case, I'm in no way a nervous driver usually but the size of this has me on edge a little :p

So you'd say a brake overhaul probably isn't a bad idea? and i should have said but I left the UK to do a lap of Australia, hence the change of car to something that can handle the outback

These are tough trucks so they go on and on so almost as a consequence its likely everything is original and 20+ years old . Nobody ever regretted overhauling the brakes but how long have you been driving it ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
These are tough trucks so they go on and on so almost as a consequence its likely everything is original and 20+ years old . Nobody ever regretted overhauling the brakes but how long have you been driving it ?
a week, picked it up last Sunday, just I'm aware of it's age and I'm going to be pretty much living out of it for a while so want to make sure It's up to scratch for general road use, but then I'm also aware that just because it feels weird to me, it might be how it's meant to be

Get a feel for it first if only because you will appreciate the improvement more once you have . I'm thinking its probably a 1KZ-TE auto and if so the condition of the radiator should be your priority as they cool both water and gear oil which mix if the radiator rots internally .

Get a feel for it first if only because you will appreciate the improvement more once you have . I'm thinking its probably a 1KZ-TE auto and if so the condition of the radiator should be your priority as they cool both water and gear oil which mix if the radiator rots internally .
I don't know what the code is but it's the 50th anniversary 2001 manual 3.4 v6

Ah petrol , I don't know much about that engine maybe because it doesn't seem to break at all ? :thumbup:

Ah petrol , I don't know much about that engine maybe because it doesn't seem to break at all ? :thumbup:
ya I couldn't find a diesel in a manual near me that wasn't already really kitted out and out of my budget, but the only issue I've had was when I got stuck taking the last door speaker out and ended up having to sit in the car with the interior light on because it got fully dark, and then forgot to switch it back to be on when the door is open and left it on for 24 hours, a jump start and back to being perfect so far, although I do need to fix the sheered sway bar link still, parts in the mail so that'll happen soon

Takes a little more stopping as it grows :icon-wink:

View attachment 327752
mines not quite ready for the full off road trip just yet, although it has been lifted which is nice to not have to worry about, roof rack will be ordered next week as for some reason I have to go into the store to get it delivered to the store, can't just do it through the website, and then maybe a snorkel

Attachments

• IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 17
You will come to love it i'm sure and the things that alarm you now you will soon recognize as character :thumbup:

Back