Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

project kzj90

iow_bob

Country Flag
north_korea
Bought my landcruiser in Jan having owned a few 80 series and 100 series and a 90 many years ago .

Was always my intention to make it into an offroad capable vehicle that looks cool ☺

So far
I've done a body lift from milners , 2 inch iron man suspension lift ,
Managed to find the last of the 285 / 75 / 16 hankook Rt03 tyres in the uk ( according to every supplier they are no longer making this size tyre ) got some alloys from a 24v 80 series and a nice new modular for the spare

I've fitted an external cooler for the auto gearbox and a 76c thermostat , overhauled the viscous fan so hopefully it should stay nice and cool ,
I've also got a digital temp guage to mount in the cab so I can keep an eye on water temps ..

I just want a reliable vehicle so I've also fitted a cambelt , waterpump , new belts , fully serviced it and fitted front and rear brakes as well as gearbox , transfer and diff oils changed

I have plans to fit some asfir underbody protection and put a fan on the intercooler to keep air flowing at slow speeds .
I also need to fit my snorkel

I'm going mid Wales in may for a weekend of laining Inc doing the strata florida with friends ..

Here she is when I bought her
Screenshot_2017-03-11-11-15-42.png

And here she is now

2017-03-16 20.06.34.jpg
2017-03-16 20.04.13.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know the best way to wire up a fan on the intercooler . I'd like it switchable from in the cab but if possible on some kind of thermostatic control so if the intercooler gets hot it turns the fan on .

I've got a nice 10 inch fan just need to mount and wire it

20170327_132120.jpg
20170327_132125.jpg

Few more little mods done to it .

Just need to wire up the fan .

Does anyone know the best way to wire up a fan on the intercooler . I'd like it switchable from in the cab but if possible on some kind of thermostatic control so if the intercooler gets hot it turns the fan on .

I've got a nice 10 inch fan just need to mount and wire it
I've seen surface mounted fan switches but can't remember where, be ideal for this application, will look on the inter web when I get home, might of been demon tweeks.

I'll look into that ..

Might just be easier to put it on a switch on the dash

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A switch is good especially if you're off road a lot, but if it was me, I'd buy some kind of temp operated switch that could cycle the fan on and off depending on the temp. Not sure on the science but would the fan running whilst driving at highway speeds make for a improvement in airflow? I know with the car not moving a lot like in off road conditions it should help.

This is how she's looking now ..

So close to being ready for the road
2017-04-01 14.24.23.jpg

Fitted My engine temp guage today
Relatively easy to fit . And very accurate .
Because I have the 76c thermostat an external oil cooler for the autobox and my fan on the intercooler oh and refurbished viscous fan the water temp stays very close to 79/80c when hot. .
Even powering uphill it only just touched 82c

What temp would you say you would start being concerned of an overheat ?

20170408_193438.jpg

Last edited:
just over 100 I reckon! Mine runs at around 78, but had it up to 100 in Spain, on long hills on motorways. Mind you the viscus coupling fan is running all of the time, I am going to take a drop of oil out I think, make it run when needed, should mean a bit more power too :)

That's good temps. Makes you think what kinda temps people run at with the standard thermostat in there :openmouth:

Would have been interesting to fit the temp sensor first then start changing things to see how the temp varied and see what made the biggest difference

Back