Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pure speculation.

frank rabbets

Guru
Re the Wimbledon crash, I've just had a look on Google earth at it's location and the lanes around. On seeing the TV pictures something in my waters told me this was caused by computer failure on the LR. Google earth picture seems to confirm this. Pure speculation I know but looking at surrounding roads I can't see how this accident happened unless caused by failure of the LR or deliberation by the driver.

There are rumours that the LR driver had a "medical incident" - better to wait and see.

It's easy for us Luddites to be suspicious of new Tech and a medical incident could be any number of things. Best wait and see what the investigation brings.

Funnily enough I went a ride in a new Defender the other day, 3l twin turbo. As described " Range Rover with overalls on". Very impressive the way it went and handled and how quiet it was. I'd like to see a back to back test with a latest 150 LC, its nearest competitor.
I'm not in the market for one but you can see why they are everywhere, seemingly streets ahead of the Grenadier.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They've nearly always made nice to drive cars. My 2 door Range Rover was a delight and had amazing and positive handling. You could easily lift the inside wheels on a roundabout, hold the throttle, and wait for the screetches when the tyres hit the road again. It was all aluminium apart from bulkhead and chassis with very low centre of gravity. Even the block was aluminium which you could lift with one hand. It had 8.3 CR which I increased to 10.5 with new pistons.

I always said from the beginning, the Classic RR was a fantastic design, streets ahead of the 40, then the 60 series at the time. It really needed some investment with something like a 3.5 V6 turbo diesel engine and sent the design to Toyota to refine and build. Would have been a world beater.

I had a 2 door RR Classic with a SD1 police V8 in it, that went well! Also incredible off road, as long as it didn't overheat. Beat that thing to death laning and trialling it - it was known as "Big Nasty" in our local 4x4 club. Given the price of 2 door RR classics now I do wish I'd kept it (and not wrecked it).... ho hum... hindsight and all that....

When the RR was launched it was pretty much unique, retaining real offroad capability while at the same time offering a new level of handling and refinement. Nowadays there's a whole host of vehicles offering that which is probably why the RR has had to move up market. I can fully understand why good examples of Classic RR command high prices, the crazy values put on old Defenders I cannot.

A special all purpose tyre capable of 100 mph had to be designed for the RR. Mine had quite narrow Michelins which helped it's arrow like driving.

Best not say too much but seem to remember chas giving a toyota dealership a new entrance some years ago

IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG

Sorry chaps, couldn't help posting a picture. I bought it in 1979 as an unfinished project. It had new cassis and all new bulkheads and panels. I just had to put the roof on and trim the interior. it came with 1972 log book and all parts were made in 1972, newly sourced. I managed to register it as a new vehicle in 1980. i remember the tax office coming out to negotiate how much new vehicle tax I had to pay !! Log book had to have a chassis number so I stamped CFR 1 on the chassis. REA 938 W but I doubt it's around.

I had one too. HVG149L. Black 2 door v8. I thrashed it about for a couple of years and sold it on. Would have been around 1995/6Found out a month or 2 later it had been used in a ram raid on a petrol station to pinch all the cigarettes. Again another one I should have tucked away.

A big plus of most vehicles of that ERA is that rebuilding them is comparatively straightforward. Imagine trying to rebuild a modern SUV with their miles of wiring, driver aids, ECU's and electronicary. :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Back